Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters who have changed their styles drastically?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighters who have changed their styles drastically?

Which are they? I can only think of Prince Charles Williams who in the beginning was a fast and fluid boxer who threw nice combinations only to turn into a brawling, inside fighting and hugging machine.

Marco Antonio Barrera!

Started off by being a face first, pressuring slugger. Ended up doing boxing masterclasses against Hamed and Moralles.

You could say Muhammed Ali too. The guy who fought Foreman flat footed on the ropes was radically different from the spring heeled youngster who fought Sonny Liston.

Arturo Gatti had fazes of being a reckless brawler as well as being a hit and move boxer.

Steve Collins started out being quite a tidy boxer but ended up being a wild, reckless slugger against Chris Eubank the second time round.

To be honest I could go on and on........

Comment

roberto duran

vinny paz

marco antonio barrera

bernard hopkins

manny pacquiao

Comment

Hopkins is the best example IMO

Comment

Barrera might be a good example for he was a reckless brawler who paid because of that against Junior Jones. Later he turned into a better boxer as you said and beat Hamed that way. That same Barrera that got kod by Jones, I dread to imagine what Hamed woulda done to him.

Also Lennox Lewis did change quite a lot after Steward started to train him. Before that he was lounging and swinging wildly, very inaccurate with his shots and relied on sheer size and power to overpower his opponents, as well as holding and hitting, which remained his trademark. But under Steward his boxing skills developed considerably and so he was able to remain on top. McCall exposed him for his lack of skills and coordination in that first fight.

Comment

Lloyd Honeyghan is probably the best example I can think of that hasn't been mentioned.

Wilfredo Gomez as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
              Which are they? I can only think of Prince Charles Williams who in the beginning was a fast and fluid boxer who threw nice combinations only to turn into a brawling, inside fighting and hugging machine.

Humberto "chiquita" Gonzalez who was a powerful puncher. After losing by KO in a fight of the year brawl with Michael Carbajal, Gonzalez boxed smartly in the two return matches and won both.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                Humberto "chiquita" Gonzalez who was a powerful puncher. After losing by KO in a fight of the year brawl with Michael Carbajal, Gonzalez boxed smartly in the two return matches and won both.
                Yea but did he keep that style thruout the rest of his career? Im looking for really drastic changes, not just someone getting better in one department or two, thats common.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                  Yea but did he keep that style thruout the rest of his career? Im looking for really drastic changes, not just someone getting better in one department or two, thats common.
                  Yes he did and it was a drastic change from his previous style. And his career did not last much longer beyond the first Carbajal fight. If you ever watched him fight before and after you would know this.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    Yes he did and it was a drastic change from his previous style. And his career did not last much longer beyond the first Carbajal fight. If you ever watched him fight before and after you would know this.
                    I have only seen the first Carbajal fight and his last fight with Sorjuratong.

Comment

Working...
                    X