No announcement yet.

Jersey Joe Walcott

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jersey Joe Walcott

Lets give it up for Jersey Joe! He had heart, if anybody did. He was the definition of late bloomer, much like Glen Johnson, but Glen was 35 when he won his world title and Joe was 37. He had lost 16 fights before he finally reached the throne, the echelon of the boxing world. And in what way! By knocking out the p4p king of that time, Ezzard Charles. He was clearly a puncher but he was also a slick defensive fighter and a good technician.

I know he was also a referee, but does anybody know how he was as a ref? And what are your fav fights with Jersey Joe? Mine are the second and third Charles fight and the first Marciano fight.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM.

Jersey Joe was a great fighter.

Skilled, could punch, could dance. Could do it all.

He wasn't supposed to beat Harold Johnson either when he beat him.

Comment

I liked Joe in the 1st Marciano fight as well, as a ref well, Ali vs Liston II.

I agree he was a good fighter, a very good slick fighter who gives anybody handfuls at his best. One of my favourites and I feel he is a top 20 heavyweight.

A tribute I made:

Comment

I think to be a late bloomer you really gotta love the game and burn for it. If nothing is progressing for so long, then why would one still keep on fighting? Money? Nah. You can't be getting much if you aren't fighting many title fights. Plus you have to always rebuild yourself after each defeat which must be HELL. So I have great respect for these guys, Joe, Glen, Johnny Nelson. It took them so long to reach the top and it was done by remaining dedicated and motivated, which is HARD.

Comment

One of my favorites of all time. At his best he was a master!

Have a look at the two Joe Louis fights. Even the fact that he was knocked out in the second fight shouldn't overule the excellence of his displays.

If he had a better chin and a little more size, I'd have faith in him being a good match for just about anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
            I think to be a late bloomer you really gotta love the game and burn for it. If nothing is progressing for so long, then why would one still keep on fighting? Money? Nah. You can't be getting much if you aren't fighting many title fights. Plus you have to always rebuild yourself after each defeat which must be HELL. So I have great respect for these guys, Joe, Glen, Johnny Nelson. It took them so long to reach the top and it was done by remaining dedicated and motivated, which is HARD.
            Joe Walcott had to fight to keep food on his families table.

Comment

very slick cat. very slick. even a bit of a cutie.

lots of punching power too. nice accurate shots that went through the target

he had a lot going for him in his bag of tricks. great defensive lines. great with distance

lots of fighters steal his moves even today

he was great at staying ahead of his opponent in terms of the decision making process in a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
                Lets give it up for Jersey Joe! He had heart, if anybody did. He was the definition of late bloomer, much like Glen Johnson, but Glen was 35 when he won his world title and Joe was 37. He had lost 16 fights before he finally reached the throne, the echelon of the boxing world. And in what way! By knocking out the p4p king of that time, Ezzard Charles. He was clearly a puncher but he was also a slick defensive fighter and a good technician.

I know he was also a referee, but does anybody know how he was as a ref? And what are your fav fights with Jersey Joe? Mine are the second and third Charles fight and the first Marciano fight.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  very slick cat. very slick. even a bit of a cutie.

lots of punching power too. nice accurate shots that went through the target

he had a lot going for him in his bag of tricks. great defensive lines. great with distance

lots of fighters steal his moves even today

he was great at staying ahead of his opponent in terms of the decision making process in a fight.

I remember Roy Jones Jnr (in his heyday) saying that he and other fighters from his gym learnt alot from Jersey Joe Walcott.

Comment

Besides from being a great boxer, he also had one of the coolest boxing names imo.

Comment

Working...
                    X