I'm new to the sport.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new to the sport.

Hey Guys,
    I'm 20 and not exactly in what you'd call the best of shape and I've been looking into getting into a sport that gives me that competitive buzz and focus... A sport that can improve my health, physical strength and boost my confidence.

I'm sure you get posts like this all the time on this forum but I'm starting boxing this week and any tips or advice any of you can give me would be much appreciated.

Gibbo

Originally posted by JGIB19 View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I'm 20 and not exactly in what you'd call the best of shape and I've been looking into getting into a sport that gives me that competitive buzz and focus... A sport that can improve my health, physical strength and boost my confidence.

I'm sure you get posts like this all the time on this forum but I'm starting boxing this week and any tips or advice any of you can give me would be much appreciated.

Gibbo

Well this sport definitely gets u and keeps u in great shape.

One question tho. Are u completely new to boxing , or have you been training in any way.

Because if ur planning to go pro , you should really have some experience in the amateurs. If not , at 20 , by the time ur ready to fight , it might not benefit you.

Just some thoughts , dont want to discourage you but , this is a contact sport , u can be seriously injured

Comment

Hey Guys,

Gibbo
      When your still learning expect to get hit. Also, never give up. I'd rather let them kill me than KO me in that ring.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Gibbo
        Training wise the more you put in, the more you will get back. Boxing is a great sport, Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Lucci View Post
          Well this sport definitely gets u and keeps u in great shape.

One question tho. Are u completely new to boxing , or have you been training in any way.

Because if ur planning to go pro , you should really have some experience in the amateurs. If not , at 20 , by the time ur ready to fight , it might not benefit you.

Just some thoughts , dont want to discourage you but , this is a contact sport , u can be seriously injured

Yeah I'm completely new to the sport but various boxing coaches I have spoken to have said as long as I'm eager to learn and give it my all there's no reason why I can't succeed in the sport. Thank you very much for your concern though , I know about the dangers of boxing but hey what doesn't kill me will make me stronger right!

Comment

Yeah I'm completely new to the sport but various boxing coaches I have spoken to have said as long as I'm eager to learn and give it my all there's no reason why I can't succeed in the sport. Thank you very much for your concern though , I know about the dangers of boxing but hey what doesn't kill me will make me stronger right!
            Exactly dude.

Hard work and dedication. Good luck to u

Comment

Hey Guys,

Gibbo
              If you're not in the best of shape then I would encourage you to clean up your diet as much as possible. This doesn't mean that you never eat chocolate, pizza etc ever again, but try and limit yourself to maybe 1 'cheat' day per week, especially at the beginning.

There are plenty of threads on here regarding diets and what to eat etc so have a look through.

Other than that, train hard, and good luck. You'll love it.

Comment

I had my first boxing training session today and it all went really well. I've been doing a lot of cardio and weights in my local gym but i need to start doing strength training.. any routines anyone could suggest?

Comment

I had my first boxing training session today and it all went really well. I've been doing a lot of cardio and weights in my local gym but i need to start doing strength training.. any routines anyone could suggest?
                  are there any trainers at this gym,i think that you should start of slow,stand in front of a mirror and start throwing punches,start with a jab then another jab then feint with the right and duck under and around and throw a left hook the the body,then slip to your right and throw a right hook,this is called shadow boxing make sure you have good form this will give you a jump start on throwing combos which will help you if you decide to start sparring

Comment

you seem pretty gay man

Comment

Working...
                    X