No announcement yet.

Sparring...How Long Should I Go?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring...How Long Should I Go?

Today I was doing some Defensive Sparring, I went 10 rounds of 3 minutes, But now I'm beat. I think I did way too much for one day, any suggestions on how long I should go?

It's been a long time since I did any sparring of sort. I guess it depends if you are preparing for some tournament or just staying in shape. But I think I used to do 4rds. of working on nothing but defense, just depends what my coach had in mind. Just curious, how would you usually go about sparring just focusing only on defense, I mean there are several ways you can break it down to when someone is working on a specific aspect of the sport.
    Last edited by rsl; 12-05-2004, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rsl
      It's been a long time since I did any sparring of sort. I guess it depends if you are preparing for some tournament or just staying in shape. But I think I used to do 4rds. of working on nothing but defense, just depends what my coach had in mind. Just curious, how would you usually go about sparring just focusing only on defense, I mean there are several ways you can break it down to when someone is working on a specific aspect of the sport.
      When I sparred today, I mainly just focused on my head movement, blocking, and just footwork. I didn't throw too many punches back, so I just stuck to defense, But after speed training, and mainly defense, you get tired pretty fast, and I think 10 rounds were just too much for me.

Comment

It depends on whatshape your in.

Your training for amature can right?

So why go 10 times 3min.

You should do skin touch sparring for tehcninc, this you do 15 rouns but real sparring should be so hard you cant go more than 5times 2.

Comment

There are plenty of ways to mix it up, which develop different things. 10x3 for amateur training seems a little inefficient, but 10x1 will build up and endurance and speed power. When focusing on different things, you go different lengths of time and takes a while to figure out what helps you the most.

Id reccommend doing warm-up arounds with just jab-hand or body shots and stuff and then going hard for 3x2 or 2x2.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwa_66
            Today I was doing some Defensive Sparring, I went 10 rounds of 3 minutes, But now I'm beat. I think I did way too much for one day, any suggestions on how long I should go?
            Dont do too much too soon!! If you push yourself to hard to fast you may end up getting ill or burnt out.

If your fighting am there isnt much need to go more than 6 x 3min rounds!! Thats more than you will fight for, but it helps to train for more and longer rounds than your doing so your prepared for a tough fight.

I have been fighting for years so I normally start at 6 rounds and build up to 15 rounds over a couple of months, i also limit my rest period between rounds to 30 secs. The only reason i train this hard is for personal reasons, i just like to be fit!! Otherwise i would just train enough to last an amateur bout.

Comment

Sparring with various boxers is another option. So you can aqdapt to different styles. 5 or 6 x 2 min rnds is what you should be prolly doing.

Comment

when i spar i usually go 3 2 min rounds of just total sparring doing anything , then when i want footwork and def i go 3 1 1/2 min rounds i dont know just my training for a 14 year old

Comment

only go 5 rounds for 3 minutes at a time

Comment

no that sounds about right

Comment

Working...
                    X