No announcement yet.

Duane Bobick

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duane Bobick

I was wondering; how would you rate Duane Bobick? He has a great record, 48 wins, 42 ko's and only 4 losses. Yet all the losses are against the best opponents he faced. He did beat Mike Weaver, but while Weaver was not yet in his prime. In Bobick's defense, he did get stunned by that punch to the Adam's apple against Norton. Not sure wether they should have allowed that.

One thing is certain tho: along with Jerry Quarry he was the only good white American heavyweight of the 70's.

I heard he's a heavyweight, Is that good enough?

Comment

I was just gonna mention Bonavena. He was another good non-black boxer of the 60's and 70's. Shame he got killed. Gave Frazier and Ali good fights.

Comment

Bonavena wasn't american which is why I edited my post,If you want to break it down,there were a number of good white fighters during the 1970's

Chuvalo was still competing at world class level during the early 70's,Joe Bugner remained a ranked contender for much of the decade and Gerrie Coetzee emerged a strong contender through the latter half of the decade

Comment

Originally posted by princemanspoper View Post
          Bonavena wasn't american which is why I edited my post,If you want to break it down,there were a number of good white fighters during the 1970's

Chuvalo was still competing at world class level during the early 70's,Joe Bugner remained a ranked contender for much of the decade and Gerrie Coetzee emerged a strong contender through the latter half of the decade
          Also Kalli Knoetze, who knocked out Bobick in 3 rounds. He was another South African prospect, but never went far beyond that. He lost to John Tate in the fight for WBA title. He and Coetzee were rivals from what I hear.

Comment

Although Bobick had a good amateur pedigree, he feasted on journeymen as a pro, but was a noted loser when in with good company, much like Tye Fields or Peter McNeely.. Quarry, Bugner, Chuvalo & Coetzee would have all beaten him comfortably..

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
              I was wondering; how would you rate Duane Bobick? He has a great record, 48 wins, 42 ko's and only 4 losses. Yet all the losses are against the best opponents he faced. He did beat Mike Weaver, but while Weaver was not yet in his prime. In Bobick's defense, he did get stunned by that punch to the Adam's apple against Norton. Not sure wether they should have allowed that.

One thing is certain tho: along with Jerry Quarry he was the only good white American heavyweight of the 70's.
              Bobick also beat Teofilio Stevenson and Larry Holmes as an amateur, and no one can take that away from him.

He gets dismissed nowadays but he was actually quite highly regarded in his day and was close to getting a shot at Ali. The Norton fight showed he wasn't elite level though.

He may have been the second best white American heavy of the 70s but there were other white heavies from various parts of the world that I'd rate above him for the era.

Comment

Bobick's most notable accomplishments were in the amateur ranks, despite his padded up pro record.

I think it was too much of a step up to go from fighting mostly cannon fodder to fighting Ken Norton. The ridicule he received after that bout and again the Knoetze knockout took away any confidence he may have had in himself.

To be fair to him he did beat Chuck Wepner, Scott LeDoux, Larry Middleton, Randy Neuman, LHW contender Bunny Johnson and a very young Mike Weaver and of course in the amateurs found much greater success than he did as a professional.

Still, it may have been wiser to build him up as a fighter gradually, instead of padding up his record with very beatable opposition and then stepping up against a top contender in hopes of getting a big payday against Muhammad Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                  Bobick's most notable accomplishments were in the amateur ranks, despite his padded up pro record.

I think it was too much of a step up to go from fighting mostly cannon fodder to fighting Ken Norton. The ridicule he received after that bout and again the Knoetze knockout took away any confidence he may have had in himself.

To be fair to him he did beat Chuck Wepner, Scott LeDoux, Larry Middleton, Randy Neuman, LHW contender Bunny Johnson and a very young Mike Weaver and of course in the amateurs found much greater success than he did as a professional.

Still, it may have been wiser to build him up as a fighter gradually, instead of padding up his record with very beatable opposition and then stepping up against a top contender in hopes of getting a big payday against Muhammad Ali.
                  Once again, you've nailed it right on the head.

Comment

Another Great White Hope, he lost pretty much everytime he stepped up, Norton destroyed him. Had a very good amateur career though.

Comment

Working...
                    X