No announcement yet.

Langford-Flowers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Langford-Flowers

Does anybody have any information on Sam Langfords second round ko of Tiger Flowers in 1922?

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Does anybody have any information on Sam Langfords second round ko of Tiger Flowers in 1922?
    I've got a writeup somewhere, Jab, but the basic story of the fight was that Flowers was handling Langford with some ease and peppering him with punches until a single right hand in the second round ended the fight in Langford's favour.

Comment

"On June 5, 1922, at age 39, he fought future Middleweight champion Tiger Flowers. In this fight Sam was blinded in his remaining good right eye. He looked for Flowers but couldn't see him. Everything before him was blurred. The ring floor, the referee and his opponent weren't there! "There was something the matter for the moment with my eyes." Sam kept cool "I'll let Flowers come and get me." Flowers obliged and when in close, Sam put all he had behind one punch. He heard a gasp and then a thud, Flowers was flat on his back! (Boston Terror Website). The Atlanta Constitution Jun. 6, 1922, reported, "The fatal clout was a right chop that travelled something more than six inches." It was a second round knockout victory for the blind fighter. The doctors warned Sam that the optic nerve had been severely injured that one eye was blind and the other so badly damaged that If he didn't stop fighting he would lose the sight of that one, also. But Langford was broke and continued fighting."

Comment

Originally posted by Yogi View Post
        I've got a writeup somewhere, Jab, but the basic story of the fight was that Flowers was handling Langford with some ease and peppering him with punches until a single right hand in the second round ended the fight in Langford's favour.
        Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
        "On June 5, 1922, at age 39, he fought future Middleweight champion Tiger Flowers. In this fight Sam was blinded in his remaining good right eye. He looked for Flowers but couldn't see him. Everything before him was blurred. The ring floor, the referee and his opponent weren't there! "There was something the matter for the moment with my eyes." Sam kept cool "I'll let Flowers come and get me." Flowers obliged and when in close, Sam put all he had behind one punch. He heard a gasp and then a thud, Flowers was flat on his back! (Boston Terror Website). The Atlanta Constitution Jun. 6, 1922, reported, "The fatal clout was a right chop that travelled something more than six inches." It was a second round knockout victory for the blind fighter. The doctors warned Sam that the optic nerve had been severely injured that one eye was blind and the other so badly damaged that If he didn't stop fighting he would lose the sight of that one, also. But Langford was broke and continued fighting."
        How did I know you two would be the first to this thread? Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
        X