By Jhonny Gonzalez

VENEZUELA - Edwin Valero has been arrested after his wife Jennifer Carolina was found dead in the city of Valencia early this morning. Valero is currently detained at the police station in the state of Carabobo. Close friends and the press in Venezuela are not entirely shocked as the the fighter's life was spiraling out of control and many felt something tragic would happen if the fighter did not receive immediate treatment for his alcoholism and psychological issues.

At present, the general director of the CICPC (Office of Scientific, Penal and Criminal Investigations), Wilmer Flores Trosel, is conducting the initial investigations at the scene.

Trosel Flores gave the first official report of the crime to Globovisión at 11:00 am, where he confirmed the death of his wife, who received three stab wounds in different parts of her body.

"Edwin Valero went down to hotel reception and made a confession that he killed his wife, so the hotel staff immediately called police, who later confirmed the death in the room," said the general director of the CICPC to

During the past few days, Valero home with his wife after a brief stay at a rehab center, taunted police custody and had disappeared for 26 hours, according to sources close to the boxer.

The FACTS As We Know Them

12:00 pm (April 17): Valero and his wife embarked on a trip from Merida to Valencia in a rented van. The fighter was said to have been under the influence of alcohol, according to sources close to the family.

11:30 pm: Valero and his wife Jennifer arrived at the Hotel Intercontinental in Valencia, and requested a room for the night.

5:30 am: Valero down to the hotel lobby to announce at the reception that his wife is dead, and took the blame.

6:00 am: Troops of the Carabobo Police arrived at the hotel and arrested the fighter, with little resistance.

6:30 am: Valero is transferred to the General Command Police Station of Carabobo.

Nothing yet is known if the legal case will proceed in the city of Valencia or get transfered to Merida.


April 12, 2010: Valero's inner circle within the family tell reporters the boxer has been beating his wife.

April 9, 2010: Valero crashed his car and tried to escape under the influence of alcohol and missed a morning flight to Cuba, where he would begin rehabilitation.

March 25, 2010: He was arrested by a commission and prosecutors of the CICPC at the Hospital Universitario in Merida at 11:00 am, after assaulting his wife. The wife was admitted to the facility with multiple injuries.

February 7, 2010: He had his last fight against Antonio DeMarco, maintaining his unbeaten record and retaining the WBC lightweight title in Monterrey, Mexico. Reaching a record of 27 wins with 27 by knockout.

December 19, 2009: He fought for the first time in Venezuela against Mexican Hector Velazquez.

September 28, 2009: "I've never hit my sister, let alone my mother. I accept my mistakes but I have not committed anything wrong. The charges will never stick," said Valero, when he was accused in Merida of assaulting family members, including his own mother.