By Elliot Foster
ROCKY FIELDING will be back in action in a couple of months.
The once-defeated 30-year-old has waited since his first outing of the year for news on a big chance.
Fielding outpointed Karel Horejsek at the FlyDSA Arena in Sheffield, as part of the undercard to Kell Brook’s vacant WBC Silver super-welterweight title win against Sergey Rabchenko.
And he has been on the case of promoter Eddie Hearn ever since to secure a major outing.
For his part, Hearn revealed that Fielding “texts him most days” as he looks to push on with his career.
In an interview with talkSPORT last Saturday, Hearn said that efforts to make a world title fight for the Jamie Moore-trained fighter were ongoing.
He said: “That’s a classic example of someone who is there or there about. He’s ranked top-10 with every governing body and boxed earlier this year in a tick-over fight.”
It was thought that Fielding would get the fight with WBO super-middleweight champion Gilberto Ramirez after terms were agreed for the former British and Commonwealth ruler to head to the States for his big opportunity.
But it was then revealed that ‘Zurdo’ would defend his belt on June 30 against Roamer Alexis Angulo at the Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City.
Angulo reportedly took the fight for less money than Fielding, which left the ex-Prizefighter winner in limbo and back in the queue of fighters waiting to find out what’s next.
A final eliminator for James DeGale’s IBF title against Caleb Plant has been ordered, but Rocky is more interested in a shot at Tyron Zeuge, the WBA ‘regular’ titlist.
“We’re trying to get the fight with Zeuge at the moment,” Hearn added. “But I spoke with DeGale the other day and he quite fancies going to Liverpool and fighting Rocky.
“Fielding’s another guy who’s just waiting now, but he will be in a big fight in July wherever he is because he’s done enough and is ranked highly enough to get that big shot.”