Last month, former WBA world super middleweight champion George Groves has announced his retirement from boxing four months after losing his WBA belt to fellow Briton Callum Smith.
Groves, who became world champion at the fourth attempt when he beat Russia's Fedor Chudinov in Sheffield in 2017, said he wanted to go out at the top.
"I don't want there to be a time where I'm 'too old' to box on, or where an injury retires me in or out of the ring," he said in a statement on his Instagram account.
In his fight prior to the Chudinov bout Groves, 30, beat Eduard Gutknecht -- the German suffered a serious brain injury that left him in a coma and unable to fight again.
"He was put into an induced coma for three weeks and bravely fought his way back to consciousness. He lives in Germany with his wife, three children and a full-time carer," said Groves.
"This fight brought home the realisation that boxing can have brutal consequences. After this, I truly felt like my fighting days were numbered. After winning the WBA world title I decided to only continue fighting while it felt necessary.
"After the birth of my second son last year and losing in the final of WBSS (World Boxing Super Series), I knew the desire to fight had left me."
One of Groves' career rivals was James DeGale, who faces Chris Eubank Jr. on February 23 at the O2 Arena.
The two have been feuding since Groves handed DeGale his first career defeat by way of a close twelve round decision in 2011.
DeGale gave him a parting shot.
“I just read an article where George said he announced his retirement at the time to try to flatten me before my next fight with Chris Eubank Jr,” the former IBF champion told The Sun.
“That is George Groves all over; he is just not a nice guy. With me and him it is, and always will be, a competition but you cannot compare me and George Groves.
“Look at my achievements, the money I have earned, the names on my record… you cannot compare us. Let’s forget George Groves anyway. He’s a doughnut and a proper horrible geezer.”