Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya is very confident that Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (50-1-2, 34 KOs) would score a knockout victory over Gennady Golovkin (38-1-1, 34 KOs) if the two rivals were to meet again in a third fight.
Earlier this week, rumors ran wild of a trilogy agreement after the Nevada State Athletic Commission erroneously listed an event for Cinco De Mayo weekend with Golden Boy Promotions and GGG Promotions as the listed co-promoters.
"We just made the phone call and the state athletic commission made a mistake," De La Hoya said to Brian Campbell of CBS Sports. "We have the hold for Canelo and it's for an [opponent] to be announced. There is nothing set in stone and we haven't even talked to Tom Loeffler's people. There is no Golovkin fight whatsoever next year. We haven't even discussed it and I haven't thought about it. First things first is Dec. 15 and Rocky."
Canelo returns to the ring this coming Saturday night at New York's Madison Square Garden.
He's moving up to the super middleweight division for a fight with WBA "regular" champion Rocky Fielding.
De La Hoya has no problem with doing a third fight in the future - and apparently has no issue with staging a fourth and even a fifth encounter.
"Should there be [a third fight]? Would there be? Absolutely!" De La Hoya said. "There has to be a third fight, maybe even a fourth fight or a fifth. I sure hope so! But there is nothing for Cinco de Mayo or even for September with Golovkin.
"Canelo bullied the bully [in their rematch]. That's the only way he's going to beat Golovkin. If you push Glolovkin back, he can not fight going backwards. Golovkin knows one mode and that's forward. Canelo did a great job and if they fight again, I strongly believe Canelo will knock him out. And if they fight for a fourth time, Canelo will win again."