Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De Hoya, who promotes Mexican superstar Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (49-1-2, 34 KOs), says his boxer is ready and willing to fight IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (38-0-1, 34 KOs).
But De La Hoya has doubts that Golovkin really wants that fight.
Canelo is planning to return on September 15th, as part of Mexican Independence Day weekend.
Canelo and Golovkin collided in September 2017 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Their contest ended in a controversial twelve round split draw.
A rematch was scheduled for May 5, back at the same Las Vegas venue.
The contest began to fall apart in March, when it was revealed that Canelo tested positive for the banned substance clenbuterol.
Canelo is very firm that his positive tests were directly connected to his consumption of contaminated meat during training camp in Mexico.
He was temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which prompted Canelo to withdraw from the rematch last month. The NSAC would late issue a six month retroactive suspension. Canelo will be able to fight again by mid-August.
Golovkin went forward with his May 5 return, stopping late replacement Vanes Martirosyan in two rounds at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
With or without Golovkin, Canelo is planning to fight in September. Golovkin is their top choice as opponent.
"He doesn't want to fight," De La Hoya told TMZ Sports ... "Regardless, Canelo's fighting in September so it's all gravy. He's fighting in September so our priority is to make Canelo vs. Triple G. Regardless, Canelo is going to fight the toughest guy out there, but we want Triple G."
De La Hoya also echoed the statements that Golden Boy President Eric Gomez gave to BoxingScene.com a week ago - that Canelo would begin a random drug testing protocol the moment a Golovkin rematch is signed.
"As soon as he signs the fight, he's on the program," De La Hoya said.