By TMZ Sports
As previously reported, the camp of IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin is targeting a rematch with Canelo Alvarez for September ... and now Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Canelo, has confirmed that's the plan.
The Golden Boy touched down in New York City where we asked all about his #1 fighter and the alleged tainted Mexican beef that led to a positive PED test, ruining plans for a May 5 rematch with GGG.
Canelo tested positive, twice, for banned substance clenbuterol back in February.
Because of the test results, the Nevada State Athletic Commission suspended Canelo for six months.
The suspension would allow Canelo to be eligible to fight again by August, and he plans to return on Mexican Independence Day weekend.
Canelo has been firm that his test result were a direct result of ingesting contaminated meat during training camp in Mexico.
"Canelo is getting really the short end of the stick here because obviously he's a popular fighter and a lot of people are gonna hate on him," Oscar says.
"But he's been one of the cleanest fighters I've known. He's passed numerous of tests, and you know ... it was very unfortunate."
Oscar is adamant Canelo is NOT a cheater ... and says there's proof Mexican beef has screwed all sorts of pro athletes in the past.
Golovkin is now scheduled to go forward on Cinco De Mayo weekend, when he faces late replacement Vanes Martirosyan at the StubHub Center in Carson, California. To make the Canelo rematch date, GGG will have to walk away with his hand raised and without injury.
We also asked Oscar how he felt about GGG's new Jordan Brand ad that mocked Canelo's meat excuse ... and clearly, De La Hoya wasn't laughing!
"To me it's bulls**t," Oscar said ... "Once they fight in September, I'll tell you one thing -- Canelo's gonna freaking wail on him."