Despite the long delays attributable to the coronavirus pandemic, the parties remain committed in the rescheduling of the unification fight between champions Marie-Eve Dicaire and Claressa Shields.
Mark Taffett, co-manager of Shields, made a point of reassuring that everything was still on pace to finalize the details for the IBF, WBC, WBO, WBA junior middleweight unification.
"We are working to finalize the final details, such as the date and location of the fight. The broadcaster, Showtime, will have the final say," said Taffett to Radio Canada.
According to Taffet, the changing situation with the coronavirus and the different public health procedures in the various states is creating a situation where the plans are changing from one week to another. This is why Showtime is studying two or three possible sites for holding the event behind closed doors.
Originally scheduled for May 9 in Flint, Michigan, the expected confrontation was postponed until June and then August. But the respective promoters are now looking towards the second portion of September.
During this time, Dicaire (17-0) and Shields (10-0, 2 KOs) have taken steps to keep stay in shape - waiting for a new date to get finalized.
"The two boxers can rejoice that the promoters' commitment has remained the same. COVID-19 has created unprecedented obstacles, but each of them is the subject of a search for a solution. I am optimistic that the fight may take place in September, somewhere in the United States," Taffet told Radio Canada.
"Boxers need to fight. I am confident that we can resolve the issue of displacement with the United States. [Dicaire's promoter] Yvon Michel is very reassuring in this regard."
Taffett is confident that Showtime will make every effort to ensure the safety and health integrity of all participants.
Michel, Dicaire and her trainer Stéphane Harnois have not commented on the current state of affairs.