By Miguel Rivera
Guadalupe Valencia, the legal adviser of former world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., explained the background to Saturday's fight being canceled with Alfredo Angulo.
The contest was scheduled to take place as part of the undercard to the Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury event from the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.
Valencia told ESPN Deportes that it was a team decision where the main voice was Jr.'s father, Julio César Chavez Sr., who felt his son was not ready to return and that another bad performance was possible after what happened in the loss to Canelo Álvarez in May 2017.
"I want to thank all my fans for so many years of support, my team and I have decided to postpone my comeback, even though I've been training very hard, I have not managed to get where I want to be, I hope to be back as soon as possible, but first there is my health and my family, may God bless you," Chavez Jr. wrote in his social networks.
Valencia explained the subject of medical examinations.
"Last week he went with the ophthalmologist to get the exams, after that the dad and Julio talked and [Chavez Sr.] thought that he was not 100 percent for the fight. A week ago it was decided that if he was not going to be 100%, after so much time without having a fight, it's better not to fight," Valencia said.
"The reality is that Julio looks good, but the father did not like that he did not have enough boxing training in the camp, he wants to see him with more boxing ... Imagine, if he came back against Angulo and he did not look good, he would be in an even worse position in his career. The whole team decided to postpone his return to January or February, we all have seen a lot of progress in him but the father knows the most about boxing, he told the team and this decision was made."