According to Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez, his boxer could very well fight overseas in 2020.
The first fight for Canelo takes place on May 2, as part of Cinco De Mayo weekend. Back in November, Canelo moved up by two weight divisions to score a knockout of Sergey Kovalev at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Most of Canelo's fights in recent years have taken place in Las Vegas, but he might cross the ocean for a big money offer.
"It depends on where the best business is, my job is to bring the best business to Canelo and my fighters," said De La Hoya to ESPN Deportes.
In his career, Canelo has only fought on Mexican and American soil. Since becoming a world champion, for the first time in 2011 against Matthew Hatton, Canelo has fought in the US states of California, Texas, Nevada, New York, as well as in his native Jalisco and Mexico City.
“Las Vegas is Las Vegas, but nowadays boxers want to fight in Europe, in Japan, in other places. If you are a world champion, you really want to be a world champion and travel around the world. It is a great possibility that Golden Boy will be established in China, we are talking with other promoters in Japan and in Europe,” De La Hoya shared.
"In the next few weeks we will sit with him in Mexico to talk about the plans, which are always ambitious to fight against the best in the world and fight on May 5."
As previously reported, De La Hoya denied that WBO super middleweight champion Billy Joe Saunders is the frontrunner to face Canelo.
"I don't know what person mentioned Saunders, but it's not the concrete plan, there's nothing in writing. We're going to sit down with Canelo's team and we're going to plan it," said De La Hoya. "It can be (a fight at 168), but Canelo has 3 weight options 160, 168 or 175."