Junior middleweight prospect Callum Walsh is beginning to make a name for himself in a very talent-rich division.

Walsh notched another knockout win, dropping late-sub Wesley Tucker three times en route to a second round knockout win Thursday night at the Agganis Arena in Boston, Massachusetts.

The 22-year-old Walsh, who is originally from Cork, Ireland and now lives and trains in Hollywood, California, improves to 6-0, 5 knockouts.

Tucker replaced Leonardo Di Stefano Ruiz of Spain after Ruiz reportedly suffered a broken finger during sparring.

From the opening bell, the southpaw Walsh was the aggressor, initiating exchanges over the shorter Tucker. Early in round two, Walsh hurt Tucker with a left hand, dropping him to the canvas from a series of right hooks to the head. Although Tucker was able to beat the count and fight on, he was overwhelmed by the precision of Walsh’s punches.

With over a minute left in the round, Tucker was dropped a second time to the canvas, this time from a barrage of punches. Tucker beat the count, but was forced back against the ropes, where another barrage of punches forced him to take a knee. Referee Leo Gerstel waved the fight off at 2:59 after Tucker’s corner threw in the towel to save him from taking further punishment. 

Walsh was an amateur standout in Ireland prior to making his pro debut in December 2021. Thursday night also saw Walsh make his debut on the East Coast after fighting all of his pro bouts in the Los Angeles suburb of Montebello. A modest-size crowd turned out to cheer Walsh on the day before St. Patrick’s Day, likely from the strong public relations appearances during fight week, including a visit to Fenway Park and a meet and greet with fans. 

Word is Walsh could return to action in June. He is promoted by Tom Loeffler and has the backing of UFC President Dana White. 

Tucker, who resides in Toledo, Ohio, drops to 15-5, 9 KOs. He has lost five of his last six bouts.

In junior middleweight action, Danny O’Connor of nearby Framingham improved to 31-3, 12 KOs, stopping Luis Garcia at 1:55 of the fourth round.

O’Connor was the more-effective fighter throughout much of the fight. Garcia (13-2-1, 9 KOs, who resides in Richmond, California, was not able to continue due to a severe cut on his nose. 

Featherweight Hegly Mosqueda of Caracas, Venezuela defeated Jose Edgardo Garcia by split-decision. One judge scored the bout 77-75 for Garcia, while the other two judges scored the bout 77-75 for Mosqueda, who goes to 24-0, 18 KOs.

Garcia, who is originally from Honduras and now resides in Houston, Texas, drops to 13-4-3, 9 KOs and is now winless in last six bouts. 

Hard-hitting middleweight Francis Hogan of nearby Weymouth improved to 14-0, 13 KOs, stopping Jimmy Williams (18-11-2, 6 KOs) after the fifth round.

The card streamed live on UFC Fight Pass. 

Francisco A. Salazar has written for BoxingScene since September 2012 and has covered boxing in Southern California and abroad since 2000. Francisco also covers boxing for the Ventura County (California) Star newspaper. He can be reached by email at santio89@yahoo.com or on Twitter at FSalazarBoxing