LAS VEGAS – Brian Norman and Quinton Randall wrestled more than they boxed Thursday night.

When their dull 10-round welterweight bout mercifully came to a conclusion, all three judges concluded that a more aggressive Norman had done enough to win their bout on the Shakur Stevenson-Edwin De Los Santos undercard at T-Mobile Arena. Eric Cheek (99-91) and Steve Weisfeld (99-91) scored nine apiece for Norman, who remained unbeaten but didn’t impress in his third fight since he signed a promotional contract with Bob Arum’s Top Rank Inc.

Judge David Sutherland scored seven rounds for Norman, who won 97-93 on his card.

Randall (13-1-1, 3 KOs), of Katy, Texas, was the first undefeated fighter Norman fought during his five-year pro career. The 22-year-old Norman (25-0, 19 KOs), who has a reputation as a puncher, has gone the distance in each of his three fights since Top Rank signed him to a promotional contract last December.

The Conyers, Georgia native had surgery on his right hand in June, which he expected to lead to an impressive performance in his first fight back from it Thursday night.

Randall initiated a lot of the clinches as Norman pressed forward throughout their bout.

For the first time in several rounds, Norman nailed Randall with a short left on the inside a little less than 50 seconds into the 10th and final round. They went back to jostling for position soon thereafter and didn’t do much until the final bell rang.

The ninth round unfolded like many of the prior rounds, with Norman and Randall consistently entangled in clinches that prohibited them from landing clean punches and made the crowd restless.

The crowd chanted “boring” early in the eighth round, as Norman and Randall continued to wrestle for position.

Randall landed a right hand on the inside with just over 30 seconds to go in the seventh round. The crowd booed earlier during a seventh round in which there was a lot of clinching.

Randall’s right connected in an exchange with over a minute to go in the sixth round. A cut around Norman’s right eye became visible at just about the same time in the sixth round.

Randall landed a right hand toward the end of an uneventful fifth round in which he landed more punches.

Norman lunged forward and landed a left hand late in the fourth round. He followed up with a left hook a few seconds later.

Norman’s right connected in an exchange a few seconds after the fourth round began.

Randall’s right landed to the side of Norman’s head with just under 50 seconds remaining in the third round. Norman drilled Randall with a right hand that landed at just about the same time as the bell sounded to end the third round.

Norman landed a right to Randall’s body and followed up with a left hook to his head with just under 1:15 to go in the second round. Norman’s right landed to the side of Randall’s head just before the midway mark of the second round.

Randall landed a straight right that backed up Norman toward the end of the opening round. Randall nailed Norman with a right hand out of a clinch with just over 40 seconds to go in the first round.

Norman landed a right hand that made Randall tie him up with just over 1:40 on the clock in the first round.

Keith Idec is a senior writer/columnist for He can be reached on Twitter @Idecboxing.