By Steve Kim
Despite various pay-per-view cards being planned for the month of November - including Manny Pacquiao's return on November 5th - Kathy Duva, the head of Main Events, says that the November 19th showdown between Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward will remain on that date regardless.
Duva, who promotes WBO/WBA/IBF light heavyweight champion Kovalev (30-0-1, 26KOs), says their date has been reserved since last year.
"We made this deal last year. We have been on November 19th since like last October. So yes, that's our date,"affirmed Duva, who isn't concerned about other events taking place around that time.
There is also the possibility of another pay-per-view card featuring Puerto Rican superstar Miguel Cotto on December 3rd.
"We can't worry about that," stated Duva on Wednesday afternoon,"it's the best fight that can be made in boxing, it's a historic fight and we're really excited about it and knock on wood we all have to hope Andre Ward gets through this fight unscathed and if he does - we're rocking and rolling."
Ward (29-0, 15KOs) faces Alexander Brand this Saturday night from the Oracle in Oakland on HBO. And if he should do the expected by coming out victorious, the wheels will start turning in terms of promoting the November 19th event.
Duva explained,"There will be something, we're working on it. Sergey will be at the fight in Oakland. So he will be there and we will see what happens when the fight ends."
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.