By Ronnie Nathanielsz
Panama's Rafael “El Torito” Concepcion who scored a stunning 10th round knockout over fancied and previously undefeated AJ “Bazooka” Banal to win the WBA Interim super flyweight title at the Cebu Coliseum last July 26, is returning to the Philippines to fight undefeated prospect Drian Francisco on July 19.
Concepcion’s manager Damon de Berry of Optimum Sports Agency informed BoxingScene.com, insidesports.ph, Standard Today and Viva Sports that Concepcion who is ranked No. 4 by the WBA No. 6 by the WBO and No. 8 by the WBC returns to the country of his biggest victory to battle Francisco who is ranked No. 10 both by the WBA and WBO for the WBA International super flyweight title.
De Berry said Concepcion (13-3, 8 KO’s) is looking forward to heading back to the Philippines saying “the Filipino’s know and love their boxing and everyone was very good to us the last time and I look forward to going back.”
Francisco whose career was stymied for some time and was matched against poor quality opponents remains undefeated in 16 fights with 1 draw and 12 wins by knockout, is the former WBO Asia Pacific flyweight champion. He is coming off a 2nd round stoppage of Indonesia ’s Sharil Fabanyo last April 19 in Manila on the undercard of “The Fast and the Furious” which was a joint promotion of Top Rank and Solar Sports at the famed Araneta Coliseum.
De Berry said “this is a tough fight against a strong, undefeated fighter. I hope this bout will position Rafael to fight for the world title. But first we must get past Drian Francisco.”
After stunning Banal, Concepcion lost in an action-packed clash to Mexican warrior Jorge Arce when he retired in the 9th round last September 15. But he soon recovered with a 2nd round TKO of Emerson Nisperusa in Panama on November 28 before taking on former WBO minimum weight champion veteran Kermin Guardia and winning an eight round unanimous decision.