Three weeks ahead of his clash with John Ruiz for the vacant WBA heavyweight title, Nikolai Valuev has extended his contract with Sauerland Event and the cooperation with Don King through 2011. The decision came easily, said the Russian Giant. “I am happy we got everything sorted out last Saturday. I am glad I just missed one day of practice,” he stated. “Five years ago I joined Sauerland Event and ever since then my career has taken a much more professional and organised course.”
The next highlight could follow on August 30 when Valuev comes face-to-face with Ruiz in Berlin. “I want to win the title back,” the former WBA champion (48-1, 34 KOs) said.
Sauerland Event managing director Chris Meyer was equally delighted about the contract extension. “We have proven in the last couple of years that we can work together well,” Meyer said. “We look forward to continuing the successful cooperation. Nikolai´s signature is a very important part of our future plans. Everybody was convinced that it would be best to sign the contract before the next fight. For us it was important to show Nikolai that he has our full backing. The axis between St. Petersburg, Berlin and Fort Lauderdale will remain alive.”