Tyron Zeuge (15-0, 9 KOs) will defend his IBF International title on December 6 at the EWE Arena in Oldenburg, Germany. The 22 year-old super middleweight will face Croatian veteran Stjepan Bozic (29-8, 19 KOs) in a fight coach Karsten Roewer has described as the first real test of Zeuge’s pro career.
“Bozic is a very experienced fighter,” said Roewer. “He is a former world title challenger who has previously shared the ring with some great boxers including Arthur Abraham. This is a big step up for Tyron and the first real test in the professional ranks. He cannot afford to take Bozic lightly.”
Zeuge returns following a ninth-round TKO victory over Baker Barakat in August. Despite the positive result, Roewer admits that there is still room for improvement from his young protégé. ‘’Although he won by stoppage, I did not really like what I saw from Tyron in this fight. He will need to improve in order to unsettle Bozic. However, if he works hard and sticks to the game plan, I have no doubts he will emerge as the clear winner.”
An assessment the young Berliner fully agrees with. “My coach is absolutely right,” said Zeuge. “I relied too much on the jab in my last fight. If I want to continue to climb the world rankings, I will need to be more versatile. Bozic is going to be a much tougher test and I know there is going to be no room for mistakes.”
Zeuge is the latest addition to an action-packed show in Oldenburg featuring a world championship double header. WBA World Light Heavyweight Champion Juergen Braehmer defends his title against Pawel Glazewski, while IBF World Cruiserweight Champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez faces mandatory challenger Ola Afolabi. Tickets are available via eventim.de.
Tim-Robin Lihaug (8-1, 5 KOs) will face George Beroshvili (13-3-2, 6 KOs) for the WBO Youth World Super Middleweight title on November 29 at the Falconer Hall at the Radisson Blu in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Lihaug impressed in his last outing, outpointing domestic rival Simen Smaadal in a memorable scrap at the iconic TAP1 venue in the Carlsberg District of Copenhagen. A return to the Danish capital gives the 22 year-old Norwegian talent a chance to claim his first world title, when he meets Beroshvili for the vacant WBO Youth crown.
‘’This is a great opportunity for me,’’ said Lihaug. ‘’To become the WBO Youth World Champion would be a huge achievement and an important step towards realising my ambition of becoming world champion. I received a lot of positive feedback after my last fight. People think I can go a long way in boxing and I plan to prove them right, starting with another victory in Copenhagen on November 29.
‘’Beroshvili is a solid opponent and will be a good test for me but I believe that as long as I’m 100% focused and do what I’ve been doing in training I will be too much for him. He’s been in with some good boxers and has a good record but he is not going to stand in my way!’’
Said promoter Nisse Sauerland: ‘’In his last fight, Tim proved he is the best super middleweight in Norway, now he is ready to make his mark on the world scene. The WBO Youth World title is a very prestigious belt and this will be a big step up for Tim. I expect the travelling Norwegian fans to get behind their man and cheer him to victory on November 29.’’
Cecilia Brækhus (26-0, 7 KOs) tops the bill at the Falconer Hall. The Undisputed Female World Welterweight Champion puts her titles on the line against IBF mandatory challenger Jennifer Retzke (15-1-1, 9 KOs). Norwegian light heavyweight Alexander Hagen will also be in action. Full undercard details will be announced shortly. Tickets are available via billetnet.dk.
Big Bear Lake, CA:Guantanamo Bay, Cuba native Sullivan Barrera (13-0, 8 KOs) defected to the United States to become a world champion boxer and now, in his second straight training camp with world-renowned trainer Abel Sanchez (trainer to WBA Super Middleweight World Champion Gennady "GGG" Golovkin), the undefeated light heavyweight feels he is getting closer to realizing that dream.
On Nov. 8 Barrera will face Rowland Bryant (18-4, 12 KOs) of Altamonte Springs, Florida, who is coming off an eight round unanimous decision loss to Pawel Glazewski in Poland. The two will meet for eight rounds of action on the stacked undercard of the Bernard "The Alien" Hopkins vs. Sergey "Krusher" Kovalev event at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ.
Since defecting from Cuba prior to his professional debut in 2009, Barrera has resided in Miami, FL but, now in his second training camp with Sanchez, Sullivan has all but made Big Bear Lake his home. According to his co-manager, Luis Molina, "Sullivan is focused. He's basically moved to Big Bear which shows how dedicated he is to becoming a world champion."
Training with Sanchez in Big Bear has allowed Sullivan access to camps of the other great fighters that Sanchez trains such as Golovkin. The 32-year old said, "I've been training very hard. Training camp has been great. We have had excellent sparring."
In Sullivan's first fight with Sanchez, he faced Eric Watkins and knocked him out in the sixth round last month at Foxwoods in Connecticut. According to Abel, things have continued to improve for Barrera since that first camp together.
"In our second training camp together things and system are making more sense to Sullivan, he is understanding his part a lot better," explained Sanchez. "Our style here at The Summit Gym is to make sure we work towards a world championship and provide entertainment along the way."
When asked about his upcoming fight with Bryant, Barrera said, "I came to America to seek, not only a better future for my family, but to become world champion. This is my dream. I LOVE AMERICA!" To which Molina added, "The future is bright for Sullivan and we are looking forward to Nov. 8."
Promoter Kathy Duva, CEO of Main Events, said, "As a light heavyweight prospect, this is a big opportunity for Sullivan Barrera to appear on the undercard of such an exciting and highly anticipated light heavyweight unification fight. At 13-0, it's also perfect timing. I expect Sullivan to capitalize on this chance and impress the fans, media and network executives who will all be at Boardwalk Hall on November 8th so that he can take the next step in his career in 2015."
In the sports world when they talk about the signing of a blue chip athlete it usually means someone who has all the necessary tools to be a success. Well in the signing of pro boxer Luis "The Mayor" Mora, Southern California fight promoter Roy Englebrecht feels he has a blue chip athlete to showcase to his fans, and build into a solid contender. Mora, is a 2013 graduate of Cal State Los Angeles with a degree in criminal justice, is 4-0 as a pro and his return to the ring on December 4th could see a major celebrity in the crowd.
"I am excited that Luis has decided to sign with us, and what is very rewarding to me is that this is the second college graduate boxer we have signed in the past year, as Daniel Kim out of UC Irvine was our first," said Englebrecht. "Luis to me is definitely a blue chip prospect as he had a great amateur career, has not tasted defeat in his short pro career as a jr welterweight, is a college graduate, and has a full time job with the City of Los Angeles. With a 4-0 record I know our Fight Club OC fans will like his aggressiveness as he has three knockouts in his four wins."
Mora, started boxing in 2001 at the age of 12at the Los Angeles Youth Athletic Club, and was coached by Hector "Shark" Rodriguez. In 2005 Mora won the National Junior Golden Gloves title and in 2009 he fought in the U.S. Opens in Colorado Springs after winning the district and regional tournament. He turned pro in 2011 under the management guidance of Jorge Madrigal from Ringstar Entertainment.
"It is a blessing and honor to be signing this promotional deal with Roy Englebrecht Promotions and becoming part of the family. I have been waiting for an opportunity to be picked by a promoter since 2011, and I couldn't ask for a better one than Roy who has been such a great ambassador for boxing," said Mora. "My record speaks for itself and after being ducked by undefeated fighters, finally an opportunity has arrived to showcase my talent once and for all."
When Mora makes his OC debut on December 4th he might have a big time political name in his corner, as he works full time for Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, and hence his nickname "The Mayor".
Tickets for Luis "The Mayor" Mora's Fight Club OC debut on Thursday, December 4th, can be purchased online at www.fightcluboc.com.