by Ronnie Nathanielsz
WBO mandatory flyweight challenger Milan Melindo plans to train for three months prior to his title fight against WBO/WBA champion Juan Francisco Estrada at the Venetian Resort Hotel and Casino in Macau, China on July 27.
Melindo told BoxingScene.com/Manila Standard that so far his training has been going very well and that he would train “I think for three months before the fight.”
Having studied fight tapes of Estrada including his split decision win over fellow Filipino Brian Viloria last April 6 also in Macau, Melindo believes the new champion is a fighter who likes to go the full twelve rounds “until the fight ends.”.
Melindo feels Viloria didn’t carry out what he was capable of doing and instead “always aimed at Estrada’s face and hardly went for the body.”
The undefeated mandatory challenger said that “when Viloria hit him with body shots Estrada backed off and appeared scared but unfortunately after the early rounds Viloria didn’t throw his body shots.”
In answer to a question from TV commentator Atty. Ed Tolentino about using the jab, Melindo said that he would work to the body and that the he would use the jab “which is needed when counter-punching.”
Stressing that he is well aware of the basics, Melindo said “I know when to punch and when to react to what he does.”
He said he is well prepared and isn’t bothered about his stamina since he always studies his opponents adding, “this is now a world championship and I will do the right thing.”

