By Edward Chaykovsky

This past Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor got a measure of revenge with a five round majority decision over Nate Diaz in their anticipated rematch. McGregor was submitted by Diaz earlier this year.

Mayweather, who retired last September, went as far as to state during a Showtime televised interview that McGregor was the only fighter he would consider coming back for. The match, says Mayweather, would have be fought under traditional boxing rules.  

Prior to Saturday's rematch with Diaz, McGregor told reporters that Mayweather was speaking with Showtime to front enough money to make the pay-per-view encounter a possibility. McGregor has no problem with facing Mayweather in a boxing match - if the money is right.

“Right now I have Floyd running around the Showtime offices gathering my money. As soon as he has my money, we can fight. ," McGregor said.

"If you want to fight me we can fight. If you need a safety net of rules, we can do that as long as you have my money. I don’t need no rules to protect me. That’s my thoughts on all that. Why dominate in one world when you can dominate two?”

After his win over Diaz, McGregor dropped a hint that he might pursue a fight "not in this sport."

The UFC was recently sold for $4 billion dollars. The old owners would NOT allow McGregor to face Mayweather - or anyone else - without the UFC's involvement in the pay-per-view. The new owners are very likely to take the same position.

“I’ve got to talk [with the new owners]. I’ve upset [former owner] Lorenzo [Fertitta] and [UFC President] Dana White there. I know it was [Lorenzo’s] last day a few days ago. I was expecting Lorenzo and his family to come [to UFC 202] for me. And I’m speaking to the new people now, so I dunno. I’ve got to talk about what’s next. There’s a lot of options. And some might not be this sport. So we’ll see," McGregor said.