By Victor Salazar
Although Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez (46-1-1, 32 KO’s) has a fight coming up on May 7th in Las Vegas, where he defends the Lineal and WBC Middleweight title against Amir Khan (31-3, 19 KO’s) at a catch-weight of 155 pounds, much of the talk has been about a mega showdown with Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin (34-0, 31 KO’s).
Golovkin holds the IBF, IBO and WBA ‘Super’ version of the middleweight puzzle and by many he is considered to be the consensus best middleweight in the world.
And while GGG may potentially be the best, Canelo is the champion at middleweight by lifting the lineal title away from Miguel Cotto this past November.
Golovkin became the mandatory to the WBC title that Canelo holds by defeating Marco Antonio Rubio in October of 2014 for the interim title of the sanctioning body. Since then Golovkin has waited three times as others stepped over him for a shot at the green belt - once for Miguel Cotto-Daniel Geale, second for Miguel Cotto-Canelo Alvarez, and now for Canelo Alvarez's fight next month with Amir Khan.
BoxingScene.com published an article on Tuesday where the managing director of K2 Promotions, Tom Loeffler, made it clear that GGG and his team will step aside no longer and are strongly holding firm for a fight at the 160 pound middleweight limit. Canelo has been firm in calling the shots moving forward. So that leaves him in an interesting position with the WBC - with fighting Golovkin or dropping the title.
Regarding the issue with facing Golovkin and the situation with the WBC - Canelo says neither subject has crossed his mind.
“I’m not even thinking about it,” Alvarez said about the WBC title situation. “It’s not even on my mind right now. To be honest I haven’t even thought about that. I’m only thinking about Amir Khan. After my fight with Khan, we can talk about it and decide what we do next.”