By Mesuli Zifo

SOUTH African boxing has suffered a low blow after the death of one of the country’s bright prospects Anele Makhwelo on Wednesday morning following injuries he sustained in his SA flyweight title fight against Doctor Ntsele in Bloemfontein on Friday.

Makhwelo, from Cape Town, died at Universitas private hospital in Bloemfontein where he had been admitted to remove a blood clot in his brain.

The 22-year-old who had a single loss in 13 fights going to the bout, surrendered at the beginning of the 10th round of a closely contested fight when he complained of cramps on his left leg.

According to his trainer Zola Koti, Makhwelo returned to the corner at the end of the ninth round complaining that his left leg was numb.

“While working on him in the corner his situation got worse and before we know it he appeared to be blacking out,” Koti said.

When the referee ordered for the resumption of the fight for the 10th round, Koti said his charge could not continue and the fight was stopped.

By this time Makhwelo’s situation was worsening, prompting the ringside doctor to order him to be rushed to a government hospital where after examination he was transferred to Universitas private hospital for brain surgery.

Doctors revealed that he was brain dead and informed his family which had flown from Cape Town to join Koti in Bloemfontein.

The death of Makhwelo, who suffered his single loss against Xola Sifama when they battled for the vacant title relinquished by current IBF flyweight champion Moruthi Mthalane, has shocked the boxing fraternity with Boxing SA describing it as low blow.
In a statement, BSA board chairman Ngconde Balfour conveyed condolences to the Makhwelo family for their loss.

Makhwelo won the gold medal at the national amateur championships in 2006 when he also walked away with the best boxer of the tournament awar.

At the professional ranks he won several titles at the development programmes and was the shining star at Koti’s gymnasium in Khayelitsha, Cape Town, that also once boasted former IBF junior lightweight champion Mzonke Fana who served as an inspiration to the dead fighter.

Koti was devastated by the death of the youngster, describing it as the worse moment of his boxing involvement.

“I am at a loss for words here but through God I hope I will manage to come through this dark moment,” he said, unable to control himself.
No funeral arrangements have been made as yet.