By Mark Vester
Top-rated lightweight contender Ali Funeka, and his team, will stand before Boxing SA at a hearing set for April 18. We touched on the story last month, that Boxing SA, which is the governing body that oversees boxing in South Africa, was irate with Funeka for leaving the country without their clearance to fight Nate Campbell for the lightweight titles on February 14 in Florida. Funeka lost a close decision to Campbell.
According to Mesuli Zifo of The Daily Disptach, the clearance from the BSA would have included medical reports and other items that Funeka would have brought with him to Florida. Additionally, the BSA is upset with Funeka for not showing them a copy of the fight contract before leaving to Florida.
Funeka team member Mzi Mnguni told the paper that no prior clearance was required in Florida because the local commission would have ignored the tests taken in South Africa and administered their own. The BSA is also charging that Funeka has not complied with tax regulations [from his purse] and contributed to the BSA's insurance policy. Mnguni is confident that everything will be sorted out at the hearing.
“All Funeka was to undergo a series of medical tests which he all passed,” Mnguni said. "I guess even if Funeka had undergone tests here at home, that medical certificate would be ignored in Florida. All the commission wanted there was to satisfy itself by testing him.”
Send News Tips and Comments To Mark Vester @ boxingvester@gmail.com
