On Saturday night at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Alfredo Angulo (24-7, 20 KOs) suffered an eight round split decision loss to former WBC 154-pound champion Sergio Mora (29-5-2, 9 KOs).
The contest took place at the super middleweight limit of 168-pounds.
Both fighters had been inactive since 2016 - with Mora getting stopped in seven rounds by Daniel Jacobs in September of that year and Angulo dropping an upset decision to Freddy Hernandez one month earlier.
The contest was surprisingly part of the non-televised portion of Showtime's tripleheader - which featured a junior middleweight main event between Erislandy Lara and Jarrett Hurd.
Most observers at ringside had scored the contest in favor of Mora, who used movement and boxing to overcome the stronger puncher.
The judges saw it 77-75 Angulo, and two scores of 78-74 for Mora.
The sole judge who had the fight for Angulo was Adalaide Byrd, who came under heavy fire last year when she scored Canelo Alvarez as a 118-110 winner over Gennady Golovkin, who many felt had done enough to win that contest.
This time around, Angulo strongly feels that Byrd's scorecard was on point.
He felt Byrd was the only judge who scored it correct.
"I thought I clearly won. Mora was going backward so much and I would come forward. The problem here was the judges," Angulo said.
Mora obviously disagrees and was shocked by Byrd's scorecard. He actually gave Byrd some choice words when the contest was over.
"I landed better, cleaner punches and controlled the fight. My punches were more effective and I was the aggressor. I thought it was unanimous and I won by one or two rounds. He never hurt me, but I felt my power hurt him two different times. It was a close fight, but it was the right decision for sure," Mora said.