By Steve Kim
Welterweight contender Shawn Porter (27-2-1, 17 KOs) was scheduled to face Thomas Dulorme next weekend from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas as the headliner on FOX before the pay-per-view broadcast that will feature Floyd Mayweather's bout against Conor McGregor.
But it was announced on Thursday that Porter would be bowing out due to personal reasons which included the passing of a family member.
Porter and his father/trainer, Kenny, had been spending their last week in camp in Los Angeles, California, at the Wild Card Boxing Club.
So what's next?
"At this very moment I haven't spoken to anybody moving forward but some of the things that have been said previously are definitely some of the things we'll be pursuing - which would be the Danny Garcia fight and we will be pursuing that definitely before this year is out," said the elder, Porter, to Boxingscene.com.
Currently, the WBC's number one ranked fighter is Porter and Danny Garcia (33-1, 19 KOs) is sitting in the number two slot. Both boxers are advised by Al Haymon and fight under the Premier Boxing Champions banner.
Keith Thurman, the reigning WBC belt-holder has made it clear that he will not be returning to the ring till 2018 as he nurses a shoulder ailment. The WBC has talked of making a Porter-Garcia fight, for the interim-WBC title, as Thurman is sidelined.
WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman was waiting for the outcome of Porter's fight with Dulorme before issuing the order.
"That [fight] would be something that we would discuss after we have finished with dealing with the bereavement that we've got going on but those are some of the things that have been brought out in the course of the last few weeks that the WBC president wanted to see happen. So we'll definitely pursue that," stated Porter, who's son knocked out Andre Berto in nine rounds on April 22nd in his last outing.
Steve Kim is the news editor for BoxingScene.com.