Advertisement
Advertisement
Boxingscene.com

Mares To Donaire: I'll Fight on 4/13, Send Your Counter!

By Luis Sandoval

Things have got very interesting in the last couple days in negotiations between Golden Boy Promotions and Top Rank over a possible Nonito Donaire-Abner Mares fight. Golden Boy made both a verbal and written offer of 3 million dollars to Top Rank for the services of Nonito Donaire for a fight to take place no later than June 30, 2013. Rick Reeno has since posted a copy of the 13 page contract on BoxingScene: http://www.boxingscene.com/donaire-vs-mares-full-contract-details-revealed--61876

Top Rank and Donaire’s manager Cameron Dunkin have acknowledged receipt of Golden Boy’s contract but turned down the offer and will continue with a proposed April 13th fight with possible opponents WBA Super Bantamweight champion Guillermo Rigondeaux and Vic Darchinyan. Donaire also cited there were details in the contract he was not on board with.

Abner Mares was on the most recent edition of BoxingScene’s official radio show - The Boxing Lab - and shared his thoughts on the situation and Top Rank not accepting the offer his promotional company sent over. Mares felt if there were issues in the contract that Donaire and his team did not agree with, they should have submitted a counter-offer and tried to negotiate to reach an agreement.

"Nonito is complaining about the details on the contract and making excuses. Okay, Nonito could've easily counter offered in writing. It got me to the point of frustration and mad too and that was the only reason I was responding on Twitter because he is making it seem like we weren't doing anything. Like we were all bluff. And we weren't” said Mares.

“My promotional [company] said 'here's 3 mil' and Nonito said 'no, that's just bluff, put it on paper'. What did we do? We put it on paper. [Then they said] 'Oh, that's not a legitimate contract'. What did we do? We put it out there, 13 pages. And now what's his excuse? 'Oh, it’s not a good contract'. Well send your counter offer and we'll make it happen. But that only lets us know he's not trying to make the fight happen. I'm not saying he's scared of me, a lot of people are saying he's not scared of me. Of course he's not, he's a fighter but let's make that fight happen for the fans”.

Another underlying problem is that Donaire has already said he would be taking time off for the birth of his first baby with his wife Rachel Donaire and would not be boxing from June to August. Golden Boy’s contract stated they had up until June 30, 2013 to make the fight happen.

Mares said that would not be an issue as not only would he be ready to go April 13th when Donaire is looking to fight, he’s fighting in April regardless if Donaire accepts the fight or not.

“I've been working out. That's why when they said they didn't want to fight in June because of his baby, and congratulations to him and his family, and I understand, [but] April 13th is there. I'm willing to fight April 13th because I'm training. I'm staying active and I'm training. If this fight doesn't happen, I'm [also] fighting in April” Mares would tell The Boxing Lab.

Mares feels he and his promoter have done everything possible in order to try to make this fight a reality. Abner is open to revisiting the fight again later this year but feels things could get done now if Donaire and Top Rank send a counter-offer and reach a middle ground.

You can listen to Abner Mares’ interview in it’s entirety by downloading The Boxing Lab podcast: http://tobtr.com/s/4203385

You can follow Luis Sandoval on Twitter @truewest007. You can also tune in to Boxingscene’s official audio show The Boxing Lab every Tuesday from 6-8PM PST with host Ernest Gabion, Luis Sandoval, and Ryan Burton.

User Comments and Feedback (Register For Free To Comment) Comment by richardt on 01-31-2013

[QUOTE=Fetta;12978388]Your laughing at the truth. He rejected it thinking he can and has been offered what since then? He has no control.QUOTE]Very true. Don King has popularized putting fighters on the shelf for various reasons. Fighters have little control to…

Comment by Fetta on 01-31-2013

[QUOTE=ddangerous;12978406]Bradley took a lot of heat when HE rejected the Khan fight way back when. It was a gamble that HE took, but he benefited when, because of HIS decision, he landed the Pacquiao fight. This argument has reached it's…

Comment by ddangerous on 01-31-2013

[QUOTE=Fetta;12978388]Your laughing at the truth. He rejected it thinking he can and has been offered what since then? He has no control. Big money fight vs the Ghost ws there if he had control why not take it? He said…

Comment by Fetta on 01-31-2013

[QUOTE=ddangerous;12978356]:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:[/QUOTE] Your laughing at the truth. He rejected it thinking he can and has been offered what since then? He has no control. Big money fight vs the Ghost ws there if he had control why not take…

Comment by ddangerous on 01-31-2013

[QUOTE=Fetta;12977932][B]Tim rejected Arums fight[/B] he had for him and when you deny the Bobfather you dont get fights. Hence sitting on a shelf. [B]He has no control over career.[/B][/QUOTE] :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Post a Comment - View More User Comments (58)
Top Headlines Farrell Hungry To Produce Champions, Excited for McCrory Link Up Chisora To Whyte: Forget Wilder, You Need To Face Me Again J. Mayweather No Longer Convinced That Golovkin Beats Canelo Veteran Judge: Horn Has No Real Talent, Pacquiao By KO in 3 To 4 Marco Huck vs. Mairis Briedis, WBC Title, in Play For April 1 Adam Lopez: I Have Everything it Takes To Get My Shot Marquez: Chavez Jr. Must First Defeat The Weight, Then Canelo Arum Provides Update on Manny Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn Event Photos: Michael Conlan Hits New York City For MSG Presser Golovkin vs. Jacobs: Ryan Martin Eyed For The Undercard Nate Diaz Expected To Receive Boxing License, Heading To TMT? Loeffler: Insurance is a Non-Issue For Golovkin vs. Jacobs Miller on Luis Ortiz: I'll Beat Brakes Off That Old Motherf***er! Photos: Carl Frampton Putting in Work For Leo Santa Cruz Rematch Gervonta Davis: Pedraza Needs to Stop Making Excuses for Loss Espinoza Will Discuss Garcia-Thurman Winner With Mayweather Chocolatito, Sor Rungvisai Will Look To Steal The Show at MSG Parker's Promoter: Talks With Haymon For Wilder Bout Went Well Robbie Davies Jr: I Want To Get Past Szabo, Step Up To Next Level Michael Conlan Has Debut Opponent Confirmed For March 17 Boy Jones Jr-Craig Poxton, Southern Area 130lb Belt on Feb. 24 Rigondeaux's Trainer Wants Lomachenko Fight at Catch-Weight Lipinets Awaiting Mandatory Shot at Burns vs. Indongo Winner Lara Willing to Face Jermell Charlo Next in Unification Fight Stevenson: Andre Ward Wants To Milk His Titles Before Facing Me Sam Eggington Embraces Idea of Facing Paulie Malignaggi in NY Julius Indongo, Ricky Burns Expect Fireworks in Glasgow Wood Updates On Flanagan, Fitzgerald; Confirms Ajisafe Capture Dashon Johnson vs. Ricardo Pinell Tops Emerald Casino Card Arum Agrees With Mayweather Rejecting White's $25 Million Offer Video: Paulie Malignaggi Talks Future, Canelo-Chavez, More J. Mayweather: Pacquiao is a Gatekeeper, He Won't Beat Crawford! Sulaiman Praises Canelo-Chavez Deal, Still Mulls Special WBC Belt Erislandy Lara Keeps Winning, Keeps Calling For Canelo, Golovkin Mayweather: Dana White Carried My Bags, Now He's a Tough Guy Chavez Sr. Breaks Down His Son's Chances With Canelo, Weight Alexander Povetkin's B-Sample To Be Opened on February 1 Dominic Breazeale vs. Izu Ugonoh is Set For Wilder-Wawrzyk Card Edwin Rodriguez Back in Gym, Will Work on Correcting Mistakes Badou Jack vs. Callum Smith Purse Bid Set For February 17
Advertisement
Latest Active Forum Threads
Advertisement
Advertisement