No announcement yet.

Lewis vs Bowe 93 i found this article

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis vs Bowe 93 i found this article

Lennox Lewis largest career payday at that time was $1 million to face Razor Ruddock whom he beat in a final eliminator. The WBC gave undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World Rid**** Bowe 90 days, to agree a fight with their No1 contender Lennox Lewis or be stripped of their belt.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-07-...1_lennox-lewis

Rid**** Bowe tried to make the bout with Lewis, but the Lewis team was insisting on options on Bowe's next 5 fights (pricing themselves out) should they lose to Bowe.. 2 days before Bowe was to be stripped of his WBC belt, Bowe dumped the belt in the trash-can saying, "Up you" to the WBC.. Lewis knew that if he dragged it out without agreeing to face Bowe, that Bowe would be stripped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eins2DhSo

What are your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Galileo; 01-17-2015, 11:52 AM.

Yes, Lewis was a very good liar in claiming that Bowe and Tyson ducked him. Bowe didn't fight him because of the ridiculous demands that his team was making and Lewis was happy to take the belt from the trash can. With Tyson, it had to do with the ridiculous refusal of HBO to allow Lennox to fight on Showtime. Tyson was the money maker and had the belts at the time, HBO/Lewis brought absolutely nothing to the table at that time, plus Showtime had an in house fight that everyone wanted to see in Tyson-Holyfield. Anyways, I am glad these BS myths are being exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo View Post
      Lennox Lewis largest career payday at that time was $1 million to face Razor Ruddock whom he beat in a final eliminator. The WBC gave undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World Rid**** Bowe 90 days, to agree a fight with their No1 contender Lennox Lewis or be stripped of their belt.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-07-...1_lennox-lewis

Rid**** Bowe tried to make the bout with Lewis, but the Lewis team was insisting on options on Bowe's next 5 fights (pricing themselves out) should they lose to Bowe.. 2 days before Bowe was to be stripped of his WBC belt, Bowe dumped the belt in the trash-can saying, "Up you" to the WBC.. Lewis knew that if he dragged it out without agreeing to face Bowe, that Bowe would be stripped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0eins2DhSo

What are your thoughts on this.
      Total conjecture. first off, I may be mistaken but your so called article was a paragraph...barey a blurb. Did I not hit something on the link? or are you calling this blurb an article? Because I would love to see evidence of these accusations you seem convinced of and you imply are vetted in these two links. Lets not even go into the second one...the video. Bowe will, of course have a different opinion than Lewis.

Heres the thing. I don't know what was negotiated but I do know that Lewis has a solid history of never ducking a fighter with 3 explainable caveats. Lewis did not want to fight Byrd or Jones because he thought they were too small and that it would be absurd to fight them. he also was not to keen on fighting Ruiz....thing is there is no reason to believe these 3 guys would have been a leitimate threat to Lewis.

If we look at patterns one can see that when Lewis retired he had basically taken every legitimate challenge at the time. Every fighter that was supposed to teach Lewis a lesson, guys like Morrison, Grant, Briggs, Golata, etc, whether they were sanctioned or not...got their chance. Lewis granted rematches to guys who beat him. This is Lewis' pattern.

Bowe was a lot more inconsistant. I don't think Bowe was a ducker, but there should be some pretty compelling evidence that Lewis....a guy who basically fought all commers and rematched the guys that beat him, ducked Bowe.

Unless your links are damaged, or there is some well written article detailing this allegation, then it is comical to present this as proof of the assertion that Lewis ducked Bowe, or anyone else for that matter, including Vitalie Klitschko.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        Total conjecture. first off, I may be mistaken but your so called article was a paragraph...barey a blurb. Did I not hit something on the link? or are you calling this blurb an article? Because I would love to see evidence of these accusations you seem convinced of and you imply are vetted in these two links. Lets not even go into the second one...the video. Bowe will, of course have a different opinion than Lewis.

Heres the thing. I don't know what was negotiated but I do know that Lewis has a solid history of never ducking a fighter with 3 explainable caveats. Lewis did not want to fight Byrd or Jones because he thought they were too small and that it would be absurd to fight them. he also was not to keen on fighting Ruiz....thing is there is no reason to believe these 3 guys would have been a leitimate threat to Lewis.

If we look at patterns one can see that when Lewis retired he had basically taken every legitimate challenge at the time. Every fighter that was supposed to teach Lewis a lesson, guys like Morrison, Grant, Briggs, Golata, etc, whether they were sanctioned or not...got their chance. Lewis granted rematches to guys who beat him. This is Lewis' pattern.

Bowe was a lot more inconsistant. I don't think Bowe was a ducker, but there should be some pretty compelling evidence that Lewis....a guy who basically fought all commers and rematched the guys that beat him, ducked Bowe.

Unless your links are damaged, or there is some well written article detailing this allegation, then it is comical to present this as proof of the assertion that Lewis ducked Bowe, or anyone else for that matter, including Vitalie Klitschko.
        your reply here is very contradictory. ..

You are saying why should we believe Bowe ? well why should we not?
        Why should we believe Lewis?

you claim Lewis "Took every legitimate challenge" -- Moorer 96, Foreman 95, Tyson 96 Bowe 93 & 95, Holmes 93, Witherspoon 94, Sanders 94-99, Wlad 99-03, These fighters all held versions of the title during Lewis championship years 92-03

Lewis promised the entire boxing world that he would face Vitali in a rematch, he dragged out his title reign for 6 more months before retiring 2 day's before he was to be stripped of his last remaining belt.

Byrd & Ruiz was both legitimate No1 contenders. both beat Holyfield far easier than Lewis did, in fact Holyfield was robbed of his titles in their rematch... Ruiz even floored Holyfield, something Lewis never came near to doing in 24rds.

Your claiming the above link to be "damaged & comical".. well it is from The New York Post the same paper which has covered world boxing for over 120 years and employed some of the greatest boxing writers in history.

You lastly dismiss Rid**** Bowe and his opinion? WHY?

Comment

New York Post -is a legit news outlet. But if not to your liking, here is another article.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ewman-dan-duva

This subject has been gone over many many times over the last 22yrs i feel that people like Bowe, Lewis, Newman, King, Tyson, The Duva,s should come out and put the record straight. because to believe Lewis that, every fighter was afraid of him or not worthy of a fight with him, is laughable, i may as well believe fairy's live at the bottom of my garden..

Comment

your reply here is very contradictory. ..

You are saying why should we believe Bowe ? well why should we not?
            Why should we believe Lewis?

you claim Lewis "Took every legitimate challenge" -- Moorer 96, Foreman 95, Tyson 96 Bowe 93 & 95, Holmes 93, Witherspoon 94, Sanders 94-99, Wlad 99-03, These fighters all held versions of the title during Lewis championship years 92-03

Lewis promised the entire boxing world that he would face Vitali in a rematch, he dragged out his title reign for 6 more months before retiring 2 day's before he was to be stripped of his last remaining belt.

Byrd & Ruiz was both legitimate No1 contenders. both beat Holyfield far easier than Lewis did, in fact Holyfield was robbed of his titles in their rematch... Ruiz even floored Holyfield, something Lewis never came near to doing in 24rds.

Your claiming the above link to be "damaged & comical".. well it is from The New York Post the same paper which has covered world boxing for over 120 years and employed some of the greatest boxing writers in history.

You lastly dismiss Rid**** Bowe and his opinion? WHY?
            1) where did i say we should not believe Bowe? Please show me.

2)Where did I say we should believe an opinion held by Lewis? Please show me.

Its hard to even say I implied such considering i carefully made sure I wasn't dismissive. Read my post slowly.

What I said was according to actual physical proof, experience....lewis was consistant in meeting challenges in the ring. I then said Bowe was inconsistant regarding his fighting career.

Lewis fought tyson, vlad and he tried to fight Bowe. Where was Lewis called out by Witherspoon, Moore, who lost the title and lost to Holyfield....a man who Lewis fought twice....so that leaves Foreman who was old and lost the title fairly quickly...and yes Lewis did not want to fight Ruiz, hardly a worthy challenge considering his skill level and career.

Lewis beat Vitali. Are you one of those who cannot accept this fact? get over it. He didn't owe vitalie a rematch and as said, Lewis was consistant in rematching guys he had a problem with the first time around...and he did rrematch Holyfield when he was robbed on that first decision. Why should he change to accomidate Vlad?

I don't care what Byrd or Ruiz did to Holyfield. lewis took good fights throughout his reign and challenged far more skillful opponents than an aged Chris Byrd and a dry humping Jawney Ruiz....As a matter of fact it is a testiment to lewis that he didn't belt hunt, but fought the more worthy opponents, something the Klitschkos never aspired too. I believe Lewis fought Grant instead of Ruiz, a guy most people thought was much more of a credible threat than Ruiz.

the Post is basically a paper for people who want sensational stories with good pictures and read on the fifth grade level...even the daily news is more comprehensive....Chucky D said it best in fear of a black planet "////the new York Post, printing Bull**** for over 100 years"...or was it Flava Flave?

Do you even read posts you respond to? did you check the link? Because there is one paragraph on that link...you call that an article? thats sad if so.

You jump to conclusions. In another thread I was critisizing an author and you assumed I was critisizing you. I write fast and misspell a lot but am very specific about when i am critical and whom it is directed towards. If you reread my post you will see I am not denigrating Bowe. Its really that simple

Comment

New York Post -is a legit news outlet. But if not to your liking, here is another article.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ewman-dan-duva

This subject has been gone over many many times over the last 22yrs i feel that people like Bowe, Lewis, Newman, King, Tyson, The Duva,s should come out and put the record straight. because to believe Lewis that, every fighter was afraid of him or not worthy of a fight with him, is laughable, i may as well believe fairy's live at the bottom of my garden..
              Well this is at least an article.

Did you read it carefully? It points out that the problem with the negotiations is at least partially due to Duva. You can't assume a fighter always has complete control over who they fight. Also I don't remember when this offer was made but there was a point where Bowe's stock had dropped and if this offer was made after the belt was ditched was Bowe still a force to be reckoned with? I don't remember when Bowe was beaten soundly by Golata, but if this was after those fights Lewis challenged the winner...Golata. If this was the scenerio then it is ridiculous to accuse lewis of ducking Bowe.

Comment

Originally posted by La_Vibora View Post
                Yes, Lewis was a very good liar in claiming that Bowe and Tyson ducked him. Bowe didn't fight him because of the ridiculous demands that his team was making and Lewis was happy to take the belt from the trash can. With Tyson, it had to do with the ridiculous refusal of HBO to allow Lennox to fight on Showtime. Tyson was the money maker and had the belts at the time, HBO/Lewis brought absolutely nothing to the table at that time, plus Showtime had an in house fight that everyone wanted to see in Tyson-Holyfield. Anyways, I am glad these BS myths are being exposed.
                It is ridiculous for a network with an exclusive contract to want to participate in the biggest fight? Is HBO being ridiculous for not wanting Pacquiao to fight Mayweather on Showtime? Of course not, which is why they are negotiating the potential telecast of that fight right now. This is how business is done in real life.

What is being exposed is that you have a grudge against Lennox Lewis. To say he "brought absolutely nothing to the table" is absurd.

Comment

Bowe and his team really blew it. This was prime time for Lewis chin smashing as he had yet to learn the finer arts of safety first boxing to protect his mandible.

Comment

Well this is at least an article.

Did you read it carefully? It points out that the problem with the negotiations is at least partially due to Duva. You can't assume a fighter always has complete control over who they fight. Also I don't remember when this offer was made but there was a point where Bowe's stock had dropped and if this offer was made after the belt was ditched was Bowe still a force to be reckoned with? I don't remember when Bowe was beaten soundly by Golata, but if this was after those fights Lewis challenged the winner...Golata. If this was the scenerio then it is ridiculous to accuse lewis of ducking Bowe.
                    You really are a Lewis fanboy. What is forgotten in the Bowe vs Lewis saga is Rid**** Bowe was "undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World"... can you imagine Amir Khan turning down $10 million to fight Floyd Mayweather (22yrs later)?.. can you imagine Khan demanding a 50/50 purse split with Mayweather? .. can you imagine Khan demanding options on Floyd's next 3 fights, should he lose?.. Floyd ain't even the "Undisputed Champion"... What Lennox and his team done was, "They Priced Themselves Out" knowing Bowe would be stripped of the WBC belt... The Lewis team had watched the undefeated Bowe "Hammer" a peak Evander Holyfield and they wanted no part of him. The Duva's, who managed and promoted Holyfield, throughout his career up to that point, also knew that Rid**** Bowe was "Not to be messed with".. Lewis and his team, along with the Duva's wanted nothing whatsoever to do with Rid**** Bowe in the early to mid-1990s..

The New York Post has always been one of the top sources of information in the world. Along with The Times of London, The New York Post is second to none. Over the years the paper has employed some of the greatest Boxing writers of all times. Jimmy Cannon, Lester Bromberg, Jack Hirsch and the legendary Red Smith spring to mind. For you to rubbish the paper and it's information is `Laughable`.. to claim it as a "Sensationalist story with pictures" makes you seem as if the truth is hurting you.

from 1992 to 1996 Rid**** Bowe was "The Best Heavyweight on Earth".. Lennox Lewis had beaten Razor Ruddock who was `Damaged Goods` after two brutal beatings from Mike Tyson. Ruddock had his jaw and check-bone broken.. Lewis then out-pointed reformed drug addict Tony Tucker in a very lackluster performance. Then he came from behind to halt Frank Bruno in another lackluster performance. Lewis day's as a Champion was then over as he got poleaxed by journeyman Oliver McCall in less than 2rds.. Why would any top level fighter in the world at that period in time "be afraid to fight Lennox Lewis"...Why would Lennox Lewis deserve a 50/50 split, or options, or any other kind of multi-million dollar purse?... The bottom line is, Lennox and his team made sure they never fought a single top level fighter of that period 92-96 who was "At The Top of his Game".. The newspaper archives of that period, papers like The New York Post, The Telegraph, The Times etc, are full of articles telling of how Lewis turned down multi-million dollar offers.

Comment

Working...
                    X