No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Alexander Povetkin: One Step From Destiny

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Alexander Povetkin: One Step From Destiny

The purse bid made it all sound like it might actually, finally, happen. Russian promoter Vladimir Hryunov’s $23 million dollar bid was over three times higher than the next highest bid made, all for a fight most wondered if they’d ever see.

Twice previously, Alexander Povetkin (25-0, 17 KO) rose to become a mandatory challenger to Wladimir Klitschko only to pull out of those fights. The second time, Povetkin’s then-trainer Teddy Atlas made clear he didn’t feel his charge was ready yet.

Russia’s Povetkin, the 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist at Super Heavyweight, forged a different path. One month after Klitschko added the WBA’s “Super” belt to his collection with a win over David Haye in July 2011, Povetkin fought for their vacant sub-belt, defeating former titlist Ruslan Chagaev to begin a hollow reign…and buying critical additional time to develop.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Why would a guy who struggles with Huck think he can beat a klitschko? He is going to get a boxing lesson and an ambulance ride.

Comment

Great article. Can't wait for this. Hopefully Povetkin takes care of business against Wawrzyk.

Comment

i'm still not convinced fighting wawryk was a good idea. if he gets badly cut or injured his huge payday is gone or worse yet if he were to lose to wawryk that would be catatrophic...

Comment

is this the guy Teddy Atlas manages ? or used to ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gratide View Post
            is this the guy Teddy Atlas manages ? or used to ?
            Yeah teddy atlas used to be his trainee. And did a chit job (no hate to teddy)

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
              Povetkin is a no-hoper without Teddy. Teddy gave up on him because Povetkin wasn't willing to fly over and put in the necessary work to continue to develop. I remember hearing about it on FNF. Teddy was saying that Povetkin wasn't being a professional and keeping his training dates. Basically made him sound comfortable and lazy and that's what showed up in his lousy fight with Huck. He didn't look worthy at all...

Povetkin has no shot

Comment

Originally posted by davidw9785 View Post
                Povetkin is a no-hoper without Teddy. Teddy gave up on him because Povetkin wasn't willing to fly over and put in the necessary work to continue to develop. I remember hearing about it on FNF. Teddy was saying that Povetkin wasn't being a professional and keeping his training dates. Basically made him sound comfortable and lazy and that's what showed up in his lousy fight with Huck. He didn't look worthy at all...

Povetkin has no shot
                I never said Povetkin will beat Wlad. But I think Tszyu is a much better trainer for Povetkin then Atlas. IMO. Tszyu is a good trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by King- View Post
                  He gave up $250000 when he advised him to avoid the klitschko fight because he felt he wasn't ready. I'm not sure what all the details were but obviously teddy likes his espn job so they parted ways...teddy still got a couple decent purses

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
                    He gave up $250000 when he advised him to avoid the klitschko fight because he felt he wasn't ready. I'm not sure what all the details were but obviously teddy likes his espn job so they parted ways...teddy still got a couple decent purses
                    Like I said nothing against teddy, I like him. But I don't think he was the right trainer for Povetkin. That's just me though.

Comment

Working...
                    X