Bookmark Website  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire |  Audio  | Arcade

Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History
Thread Navigation

Old 02-16-2013, 04:08 AM
likeamulekick
Contender

Rep Power: 6 likeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 178,053.20
Default Was ali's punching power underated?

Ali was never known to be a puncher or be very strong in the ring but i think it was more to do with the way he threw his punches. Its a 2 part question really because i wanted to know how people felt about the knockout over sonny liston and if it was real. Was it fixed, was it alis power or was it jus a quick well timed punch that liston wasnt prepared for. I personally think Ali was strong in the ring when clinching and if he were to get some leverage on his punches and slug it out, would be a good puncher.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 AM
McGrain
Contender

Rep Power: 8 McGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 18,325.05

Forget the Liston KO. Too difficult to unpick. Ali has two unique stoppages of fighters with granite chins in Bonavena and Foreman. If Ali hadn't stopped these guys we would now be arguing that they are utterly unstoppable - granite chinned and terrifying.

When Ali set down on his punches he could hurt these guys. He wasn't a puncher but is a harder hitter than he is generally given credited for.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:06 AM
likeamulekick
Contender

Rep Power: 6 likeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond reputelikeamulekick has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 178,053.20

looking at that liston ko again, i think its all of the 3 i mentioned. He was defntly caught off guard, ppl assumed that ali was a butterfly and dint hit that hard making the punch look very weak, another thing is ive seen alot of fighters go down by average punches whens its on top of the forehead so i think it was a real KNOCKDOWN but not a knockout. Liston falling back down looked fake and was probably thinking at the time "**** it, i tryed, but i cant break this guy and im not gonna go through this again" and enjoyed his payday. He looked fine to me when he was back up
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM
McGrain
Contender

Rep Power: 8 McGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 18,325.05

Who knows? There is more than enough circumstantial evidence to write it off as a dive, but the scenario you present is reasonable. Who knows? Nobody knows. Nobody will ever know.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Prince_Pugilist
Banned

Rep Power: 0 Prince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond reputePrince_Pugilist has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 1,000,035,676.27

Ali had very good power. He wasn't always a one punch KO kinda guy but he could hurt you.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Panamaniac
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Panamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond reputePanamaniac has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 10,000,093,515.50
It was private before, fixed it. - HaglerSteelChin 

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeamulekick View Post
Ali was never known to be a puncher or be very strong in the ring but i think it was more to do with the way he threw his punches. Its a 2 part question really because i wanted to know how people felt about the knockout over sonny liston and if it was real. Was it fixed, was it alis power or was it jus a quick well timed punch that liston wasnt prepared for. I personally think Ali was strong in the ring when clinching and if he were to get some leverage on his punches and slug it out, would be a good puncher.
Ali/Liston II wasn't fixed, it was as you described (see bold highlight) above. Ali had average punching power, no more, no less. If such a concensus underrates his punching power, then it was underrated, if not, it wasn't.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
KO'er
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 KO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond reputeKO'er has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 200,891.78

I have read books about Ali before, and fighters have said that Ali's jab isn't very hard hitting, but it would make you dizzy after a while.

I think his power is above average though. If Foreman and Shavers were a 10/10 in punch power, i'd give Ali a solid 7/10. (5 being the average.)
Old 02-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Anthony342
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 4,435,135.53
Total Points: 120,119,550,544.96
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Sounds good. Yeah, I've heard opponents of his say his power was above average. Even Liston said, after the first fight, that Ali, who had just changed his name to Ali at the time, had better punching power than he was credited for and hit harder than people think.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM
greynotsoold
Contender

Rep Power: 3 greynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 5,009,473.90

Ali had really bad hands. I've read that, in training, they would go to extremes to protect them. He often said he liked to hit opponents on the top of the head, to make them dizzy, and the skull his a much larger bone than the bones in the hands.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:21 AM
SlySlickSmooth
its all good

Rep Power: 16 SlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond reputeSlySlickSmooth has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 273,257,421,194,756.91
Total Points: 307,267,421,314,610.19
A beer to go along with your winnings from tonight's bets! :) - Tyler_Durden No Message - UTEP Have a beer - led 80's Hip-Hop thread - -jose- a gift for u m8, just like danny ;) - sugarsmosley 
a truly great poster in the RBR threads - jas My treat - led a true boxing fan - jas Great and Fair poster - jas No Message - Beercules 

His power was snappy. Hurt you, wouldn't KO you, but you don't want to keep getting hit by him over and over.. it seems like it was real damn annoying having some man dance circles at you popping jabs every 2/3 seconds.

A lot of his KOs/TKOs were because of his boxing ability and counters(pull, right hand baby), not heavy handedness.