No announcement yet.

just took a beating

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just took a beating

a friend of mine and fellow boxing enthusiast just bought some headgear and a pair of gloves...he thought it might be fun to spar a few rounds.

fun for him, maybe. the kid is 5'10, wieghs about 215, can bench 360, and has arms thicker than my legs.

i work by a strict no fear doctrine, so i decided to spar anyways....my inexperience worked completely against me, i forgot about my form and couldnt think of anything to do except throw big rights....kept forgetting to keep my guard up. the kid landed 3 right hooks flush on my chin that almost unscrewed my head. i got in a few good (but lucky) rights, one of which hit him on the nose, but i took a serious beating. didnt fall, but i felt like taking a niiice, looong, nap on the floor.

its focused me though. even though he's about 40 pounds heavier than me and way stronger, i stepped in the ring and didnt back up. i just need to get more experience and learn to keep my head in the ring, then all the technique will be like second hand and wont abandon me when i step in the ring.

u wont learn anything if u dont make mistakes.

Comment

do you box at a gym?

Comment

usually threads in this section are either questions or stating helpful facts, but okay I guess

Comment

no, this was me boxing in my garage with a friend. i dont think it wouldve helped if i had been in a ring, because i froze up and just stood there and took a beating.

i think it was a good experience. me and him have decided to keep up the sparring, help eachother out, and figure out how to deal with the different looks a guy can give you.

also, i think we're gonna take a trip down to lowell, mass (30 minutes away from my hometown, salem nh) and pop by a boxing gym.

Comment

yeah my bad, thats what i meant, like do you actually box in gym

Comment

ur 40 pounds lighter, its alot but not 2 much if u had been to a boxing gym and gotten sum skill. how many rounds did the spar go for? do u have any marks on ur face?

Comment

3 rounds, no marks...he was hitting me around the jaw, on the headgear, rather than on the face, so aside from a little redness right after the fight im clean.

i dont think it was the 40 pounds that did me in, it was the fact that i got cement feet when i stepped in the ring. with more experience i think i could hold my own.

Comment

don't sweat it bro, many people lose on their first sparring session, it's normal. My first spar was 4 rounds and I kept eating jabs and straights all night and just stood there without moving, then I came here and got some help from people and started practicing my movement on the heavybag. Next sparring session i knocked my friend out 1:12 in the first round he was sleeping on the ground for a minute and we were all around him with the wet towel under his neck and all, when he got back up he didn't speak a word the rest of the day he was so out of it. Then after that sparring session I felt overconfident and the next sparring session I wanted to swarm the guy but as soon as I got hit with a nice shot I just completely froze up until I snapped out of it then just countered everything he threw at me for 5 rounds and won a decision. I also TKO'd him in the first 30 seconds of round one with a left body hook-right body hook-left temple hook where there was minimal padding combo and made the guy sit down and take a 2 minute break because I wanted to test out my stamina for 5 rounds. You learn from your mistakes man, the more you make the better you'll become in the long run

Comment

yeah, im not discouraged by it, im glad i have something to focus on now. plus, im hoping that by boxing with this big lug that ill be better prepared for fighting guys closer to my size.

Comment

Working...
                    X