No announcement yet.

got hit, knees buckled, concussion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got hit, knees buckled, concussion?

Sparred a big puncher today and was hit flush on my forehead with a straight right hand. I absorbed the shot, but my knees buckled and its the first time I ever felt my legs go weak from a punch. Now I know what it means when a fighter looses his legs.

I recovered in 2-3 seconds, and finished the round, I felt no after effects and am normal.

Still concerned in regards to whether I received a concussion or not, should I stop sparring for a few days?

Originally posted by bbos View Post
    Sparred a big puncher today and was hit flush on my forehead with a straight right hand. I absorbed the shot, but my knees buckled and its the first time I ever felt my legs go weak from a punch. Now I know what it means when a fighter looses his legs.

I recovered in 2-3 seconds, and finished the round, I felt no after effects and am normal.

Still concerned in regards to whether I received a concussion or not, should I stop sparring for a few days?
    I dunno if it's supposed to happen when it hits your forehead. But it happens when you get hit in the chin or temple. It's nothing really. Once you get hit in the chin or temple the knees go weak. Go ahead and spar.

Comment

Leave it a day or so then see how you feel. If you have even the slightest doubt, take a step back and dont spar that day.

Comment

agree with the guy above,that shouldnt really happen with a punch to the forehead,chin or temple usually makes you go a bit weak,best advice i can give you is get back in the gym and keep going like normal,try not to hestiste too much you might do the 1st time because you will be weary of the punches but keep going

Comment

big body with a glass forehead

Comment

yea thats the weird part because it was on my forehead with a headgear... but he was a heavy weight and i fight at 152... his right hand could have snapped my head back which would explain the weakening of the legs. although I recall I absorbed the shot without much movement to my head.

this raises another question. I always thought it was due to the plethora of nerves located in the chin that sends the CNS into shock when hit which produce the buckling of the legs. But there are very small amount of nerves located in the forehead, so its not the nerves that cause the legs to go, I suppose its the violent movement of the head when hit, results in minor concussion which sends the body into shock, one looses his legs.

any thoughts?

Comment

The impact of the punch suddenly accellerates your head in a particular direction. This accelleration is so fast that your brain, in relation to your skull, remains in practically the same spatial location. This causes the brain to impact into the front of the skull, leadning to loss of particular brain functions - the obvious examples being loss of balance, hand/eye co-ordination, ability to judge time/distance etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                The impact of the punch suddenly accellerates your head in a particular direction. This accelleration is so fast that your brain, in relation to your skull, remains in practically the same spatial location. This causes the brain to impact into the front of the skull, leadning to loss of particular brain functions - the obvious examples being loss of balance, hand/eye co-ordination, ability to judge time/distance etc.
                in other words, I did suffer a concussion

Comment

Whats with the attitude? you asked for thoughts.

Prick.

A concussion is just a brain injury caused by any physical trauma to the head, so yes, you did. Well done on working that one out genius.

Comment

its all about how you feel afterwards imo. if you got knocked out i would advise you to rest no matter how you felt, but since you were just stunned id go ahead and sparr if u feel good. sometimes i got headaches after training without really taking any serious shots, other times i got rocked and felt just fine. this is boxing, sometimes u get buzzed, if u feel good just keep sparring.

Comment

Working...
                    X