Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone here a boxer, but smokes cigarettes?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone here a boxer, but smokes cigarettes?

I'm just curious. I know Ricardo Mayorga did.

Im far from professional,
    Im down the gym five days a week,
    doing cardio and weights and i do boxing three evenings a week,
    i smoke 15-20 cigarettes a day

Comment

I'm almost not professional, and haven't had any fights but I spar and train regularly. I smoke about 8-10 a day.

The only good thing I can think of when it comes to cigarettes is that it helps me to lose weight when I need to watch my diet.

Comment

Started boxing at 14 and i smoked until i was 21, i had a couple of amature fights at 17-19. So yes its possible, but it sure is a disadvantage.

If you want to go anywhere with boxing you should stop that asap, but if you just want to train to get in better shape, do whatever you want.

Comment

I know a few boxers that smoke. It's all about controlling how much you smoke vs. how much you work out. Ultimately all smoking is going to take a toll on your "wind" but if you do your roadwork and try to keep smoking at a minimum, you should be fine. Keep in mind that up till about the early 80's a huge amount of people smoked. IN the 50's something like 80 of the male population smoked at least casually, and you can bet your ass a lot of boxers smoked. In the 20's and 30's almost all guys smoked and I have read of champions who smoked quite a bit when they were not training for a bout.

I personally will smoke only on weekends and no more that 3 a day. I average about 4 or 5 smokes a week.

Comment

if you are serious i recomend chew.

Comment

There are actually nicottine electric cigarettes. Yes, I am not joking! I saw it at the mall, a stall where people were selling them.

Nothing harmful is in it and it produces no scent (a little bit of smoke tho for some reason? nothing staining or smelly). What is in the cigarette is nicottine (why you're addicted/loving cigarettes). Take advantage of technology and get one of these things.

Kinda lame and corny, but you'll feel better (you'll be smoking (artificially), be healthier and it'll be easier to train).

Comment

You meatslaps have managed to find the single good thing about the training and nutrition forum, the discounts on title boxing, and sausage-slapped it up. Give yourselves a big pat on the head, you guys have been a real pantload.

Comment

Originally posted by Dynamite Glove View Post
                  You meatslaps have managed to find the single good thing about the training and nutrition forum, the discounts on title boxing, and sausage-slapped it up. Give yourselves a big pat on the head, you guys have been a real pantload.
                  It is one thread in a forum that produces about 5 new threads on average, a day. On top of that, it is something different from the typical "I'm starting out, what weight should I be at" or "What foods should I eat to lose weight" thread that we see about 5 times a week.

Comment

Not when I was actually fighting, but training now still, I do. Maybe fifteen or so a day. Terrible ****ing habit, don't bother with it. Mayorga is not a good guy to think "Yeah, he can do it then so can I!" if that's what you're even thinking or anything....

It is quite a supremely stupid habit really, and I'm just waiting for the day that I actually want to give up. But, I can't ever see myself fighting again so it's not too much concern but I'll just have to make sure I'm done with it before anything health problems pop up.

Comment

Working...
                    X