Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got challenged if you could say...What general opinions...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got challenged if you could say...What general opinions...

I was over at my sisters house the other day and she had a few people over, All 3 were brothers and supposedly "trained" for boxing and I guess they do that MMA style of fighting and one of them is strictly a boxer. Im pretty sure it is underground and nothing big, But anyways skipping through the mumbo jumbo the boxer said he would like to "challenge" me and got heated about it. They said the winner would get 50 dollars and it would be 3 2 minute rounds, this guy weighs like 135 and Im down to 117 and that is a huge weight difference. He said he would come down to 125-7 if I would come up to 122...No problem their except that basically that is 2 different weight classes and I am 122-123 on a full stomach with no problems....

They said their would be head gear and 14oz gloves would be used...Now I have never seen this guy fight, but if he is training to be a boxer it isnt serious. While he was at my sisters house he was eating potato chips and drinking pop while I was snacking on some yogurt and baby carrots and I guess his stamina is horrible and he doesnt even do roadwork....

Now this would be a great opportunity for me to test myself and see where I stand, Although it isnt official in anyway and could turn to be a bad decision (I know the consequences) But w/ the headgear and the heavy gloves it would be just like a sparring session and I think although, I havent had real professional training but my ethics and drive is their and my stamina is crazy, I could hold my own.

I realize it isnt probably a nice professional choice, but hey it is just like a sparring session to me plus w/ a quick buck.

I usually train w/ 12 oz gloves and head gear and the guys I spar with are 140-170 pounds.

Anyone questions or comments?
    Last edited by spinksjinx; 11-03-2004, 08:18 AM.

I dont know spinks,it will be your first fight right?

You should find out if he has fought much and how long hes been boxing, i know some guys who dont train seriously, eat crap and are 20 years older than me who would have knocked me flat.

And that he outweighs you isnt necassary an advantages fore him if his fat.

Find out more about this bloke.

Comment

If you are serious about becoming a boxer.....skip this "fight".
      Yeah, you're ego may tell you to go through with it, but use your head.

Fight....WHEN IT COUNTS.

Ask whoever trains you if you should do it.....& they'll tell you pretty much what I've told you.

Comment

On the other hand.....if this dude was getting heated towards you in your sister's house.....you shoulda asked him if he wanted to step outside.
        He sounds like a punk.

Comment

Originally posted by leff
          I dont know spinks,it will be your first fight right?

You should find out if he has fought much and how long hes been boxing, i know some guys who dont train seriously, eat crap and are 20 years older than me who would have knocked me flat.

And that he outweighs you isnt necassary an advantages fore him if his fat.

Find out more about this bloke.
          Yes, I have about 20-25 sparring sessions in all ranging between 8-12 rounds each session though......

I know he has done what he is doing about 4 times, he seems really out of shape and poorly conditioned....

Their is a lot of risk involved and I realize it, but the protection is their and I had just got full coverage insurance so if anything went wrong Id be covered and I could see where I stand which is what I definatly want to do....

I know some people in here has more in ring experience then me and looking for their general opinion....

My sister and her husband praise this guy because he is their friends, but his poor conditioning and eating habits makes me question it and gives me confidence...It is a tough one.

Jabs-Yeah he was getting pretty mad about nothing really, he was telling me about his "skills" and his "training" and I laughed when he said he doesnt do roadwork and that bag of chips in his hands and can of pop doesnt do much justice, im sure it could have been settled outside but I dont like confrontations like that...I would rather punk him inside of what he thinks he is better at....Although he may be able to defeat me who knows....

Comment

Originally posted by spinksjinx
            Yes, I have about 20-25 sparring sessions in all ranging between 8-12 rounds each session though......

I know he has done what he is doing about 4 times, he seems really out of shape and poorly conditioned....

Their is a lot of risk involved and I realize it, but the protection is their and I had just got full coverage insurance so if anything went wrong Id be covered and I could see where I stand which is what I definatly want to do....

I know some people in here has more in ring experience then me and looking for their general opinion....

My sister and her husband praise this guy because he is their friends, but his poor conditioning and eating habits makes me question it and gives me confidence...It is a tough one.

Jabs-Yeah he was getting pretty mad about nothing really, he was telling me about his "skills" and his "training" and I laughed when he said he doesnt do roadwork and that bag of chips in his hands and can of pop doesnt do much justice, im sure it could have been settled outside but I dont like confrontations like that...I would rather punk him inside of what he thinks he is better at....Although he may be able to defeat me who knows....
            Well so you got about 200 rounds of sparring?
            I dont realy think your ready yet, looks like he is a lot more experienced than you,soo i would wait, and you cant tell how good conditioned his by loking at him and talking too him.

And about the food, this guy i train with is 2times nowegian champion and took a silver in the open germany championship, he eats loads of chips, icecream drinks a lot beer. And hes stil one dangerous fighter and has 5% bodyfat.

You havent been training boxing fore long, what is about 4-5 months?

I think its too early.

Comment

Originally posted by leff
              Well so you got about 200 rounds of sparring?
              I dont realy think your ready yet, looks like he is a lot more experienced than you,soo i would wait, and you cant tell how good conditioned his by loking at him and talking too him.

And about the food, this guy i train with is 2times nowegian champion and took a silver in the open germany championship, he eats loads of chips, icecream drinks a lot beer. And hes stil one dangerous fighter and has 5% bodyfat.

You havent been training boxing fore long, what is about 4-5 months?

I think its too early.

Around 200 is a good estimate.......Im thinking about it to test my skills, but I think it would be best like you said if I could get more information on him....He he a bit of a bulge in his guy which might not be thing if he throws haymakers for all rounds...

Thanks for your opinion, I will most likely follow the advice but this guy just agitates the hell out of me and I feel I could box around him even though im still very early.....Plus boxing is a mental edge sport and if I go in their angry the outcome wont be pretty probably from my end.....Thanks a lot.

Comment

8-12 round sessions? come on if your training to be an amateur no one goes that long

Comment

Originally posted by bigtex
                  8-12 round sessions? come on if your training to be an amateur no one goes that long

If you can do it why not?

I dont cheat myself in training and push myself to my limits, I have built my stamina up to go that and I will do that in my training...

Their is no reason to go 4 rounds when and risk coming up short when I know I can go double or triple that....

Comment

dude
                    you serioulsy need to box this fool
                    14oz gloves and headgear?
                    plus once ya beat him ya get 50 bucks?
                    if thats not a good thing i dont know what is
                    just remember to throw a low blow once in a while since he outweighs ya
                    lol

Comment

Working...
                    X