The right hook? - Boxing Forum
  Trending Topics  | Free Registration  | The Team
Boxing Champions |  Boxing Schedule |  Boxing Video  |  Boxing History   |  Pound For Pound  | Lounge  | The Wire | Arcade

Navigation
Thread Navigation

Old 06-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Stimpy
Contender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 9 Stimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to all
Bank: 14,133.96
Total Points: 29,708.49
Send a message via AIM to Stimpy
Default The right hook?

Hey, i've started boxing about 3-4 weeks ago and have been going non-stop since I joined. Well my question has to do with the right hook, is it necessary? My trainer said it's an ugly punch and shuns really using it.

note-Now my trainers a pretty experienced guy, he's from Freeport PAL in New York if anyone knows, and Freeport PAL's no joke!
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-21-2008, 02:25 PM
!! Shawn
!! Shown

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Rep Power: 48 !! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute!! Shawn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 41,653,577,759,436.31
Total Points: 41,716,981,661,287.53
Thanks for the advice. - mickey gomez to help keep you sharp in your debates - -PedoBear- Nonito Donaire's #1 fan. He loves talking about him all day. Shawn + Nonito = &lt;3 - subhuman Happy holidays bro! - led* Hypocrites&gt; Hippocrates :dunno: :lol1: - jose830 
Thanks for the karma.  Here's a gift . Always thought u were a good poster  and ur a fellow Rigotard . - Respect Power 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NewYork 

I know people that love the right hook, but I pretty much agree with your trainer. In my experience, it ALWAYS comes off as a looping right hand instead of a hook.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
mightymouse2k
Contender

Rep Power: 10 mightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to all
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 6,430.55

I like the right hook, i find it a very useful power punch to knock my opponent of balance and stop their lateral movement. Also with head movement it can be a pretty vicious suprise attack. In my opinion its another weapon for your arsenal of punches and worth investigating. (Good in a street fight as well).
Old 06-21-2008, 03:22 PM
J_CON
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 16 J_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond reputeJ_CON has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,210,975.64
Total Points: 1,357,225.75
Good game man.. - !! AI-Holmes!! 3K! - T-97 Happy 3000th man!  Here's to 3k more! - abosworth 

THere is no right hook. Only if your a south paw. You can throw a wide cross though when your in close range and cant get a decent extension on a straight.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:49 PM
jadagod
Contender

Total Points: 24,513.62

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_CON View Post
THere is no right hook. Only if your a south paw. You can throw a wide cross though when your in close range and cant get a decent extension on a straight.
yes there is a right hook we all know what he's talking about

the right hook is very hard to land i don't really try it in sparring u've got to set it up tho like roy jones done to virgill hill
Old 06-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Trrmo
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 10 Trrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of lightTrrmo is a glorious beacon of light
Total Points: 64,818.11

The short right hook can be effective especially in close, ex Australian champ Darren Obah used to clock me with a few of these in sparring years back.
Didnt expect it at the time. Heres a demo by a kickboxing champ. Only thing I was taught different is to keep the thumb upwards when hooking not towards your body. what about everyone else?
27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> Basics of Thai Boxing & Martial Arts : Muay Thai Hook Punch: Thai Boxing Basics -- powered by ExpertVillage.com
Old 06-21-2008, 03:59 PM
mightymouse2k
Contender

Rep Power: 10 mightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to allmightymouse2k is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trrmo View Post
The short right hook can be effective especially in close, ex Australian champ Darren Obah used to clock me with a few of these in sparring years back.
Didnt expect it at the time. Heres a demo by a kickboxing champ. Only thing I was taught different is to keep the thumb upwards when hooking not towards your body. what about everyone else?
I was taught to keep my thumb up (palms in, not with my thumb sticking out lol)when throwing any type of hook. Its actually interesting to note that i catch more people in my boxing gym with it than in my muay thai gym with a right hook.

Last edited by mightymouse2k; 06-21-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
fraidycat
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 fraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond reputefraidycat has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 186,220.01

If a boxer threw a right hook at me with his elbow that high I'd step in, take it short, and punch a hole right through his liver. The strong-side hook has to be thrown in close, and if you fight orthodox, keep that elbow down and the thumb up. The way he throws that punch may work great in MT but I have had great success in throwing a left hook counter against that exact punch.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
mightymouse2k
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraidycat View Post
If a boxer threw a right hook at me with his elbow that high I'd step in, take it short, and punch a hole right through his liver. The strong-side hook has to be thrown in close, and if you fight orthodox, keep that elbow down and the thumb up. The way he throws that punch may work great in MT but I have had great success in throwing a left hook counter against that exact punch.
I think you are right about its use in muay thai, normally (in my muay thai gym) when i throw a right hook i normally use a lead leg technique to keep my opponent at bay and stop him exploiting the openings, unfortuantely you can't do that in boxing and as you state above, it does provide your opponent with a great opening.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Stimpy
Contender

Rep Power: 9 Stimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to allStimpy is a name known to all
Bank: 14,133.96
Total Points: 29,708.49
Send a message via AIM to Stimpy

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess i'll shun from using it unless i see a sweet spot.

Share This With Friends

User Tag List