Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Joshua Survives Early Scare To KO Whyte in Seven

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a solid scrap. Joshua showed he is a step above Whyte. The power was just too much as Whyte just took too many big blows. He showed heart & a good arsenal of punches. He threw jabs, straight rights & hooks to both the body & head. He had a strong moment in the 2nd but that was his only chance. He fought valiantly but the power & skillset of Joshua was just too much. Joshua got some much needed experience in this fight. He got a little Coc*y in the 1st round & almost paid for it in the 2nd. After losing his 1st round of his career he put the pedal down & started boxing. I knew coming in Whyte had a solid left hook & that is what he used to stagger Joshua. I'd like to see Whyte fight Price or Chisora in a domestic dust up. Joshua can now move on to the fringe contenders. The difference between Joshua & Parker is AJ has a huge following so he will get bigger fights & a shorter road to the title if he keeps winning. Parker will have to move up the latter & wait his turn. I hope they eventually fight. Solid win for Joshua...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
      so still no grading Joshua then cos I haven't heard anyone calling Whyte elite
      How much elite is there? The top ten is still weak enough to have guys like Glazkov in it. I'd make big money with Haye and Chisora if I could, get some rounds, and he's ready. He might be ready now. This kid is as good a young heavyweight as there has been in 1-2 decades.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
        How much elite is there? The top ten is still weak enough to have guys like Glazkov in it. I'd make big money with Haye and Chisora if I could, get some rounds, and he's ready. He might be ready now. This kid is as good a young heavyweight as there has been in 1-2 decades.
        I was just responding to a guy who was hinting that Whyte is/was elite. Even if there were absolutely zero elite fighters in the current HW landscape compared to historical levels then that doesn't make it seem right to promote young prospects like Whyte up to elite status.

I agree about the scarcity of elite fighters at HW at the moment. But that just goes hand in hand with what elite is supposed to mean surely? If you are elite you are up there on your own at the summit of boxing.

So by that definition, (am I going out on a limb here?) there are only ever maybe 4-5 boxers in all of the weight classes at any one time who might be considered elite. Whyte isn't that and doesn't look as if he will ever come close. Now if we were talking Verdejo type prospect/contender that would be something else.

IMO the last 30 years off the top of my head we have had Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis and the 2 Klitschkos as elite heavyweights with a number of others just falling short such as Bowe. Come to think of it I'm not even sure Wladimir has been elite skill-wise but certainly performance-wise.

I agree with what you say regards Joshua being best young heavyweight prospect in a decade or two - but that is partly a reflection on the state of the HW division the last decade.

Comment

I was just responding to a guy who was hinting that Whyte is/was elite. Even if there were absolutely zero elite fighters in the current HW landscape compared to historical levels then that doesn't make it seem right to promote young prospects like Whyte up to elite status.

I agree about the scarcity of elite fighters at HW at the moment. But that just goes hand in hand with what elite is supposed to mean surely? If you are elite you are up there on your own at the summit of boxing.

So by that definition, (am I going out on a limb here?) there are only ever maybe 4-5 boxers in all of the weight classes at any one time who might be considered elite. Whyte isn't that and doesn't look as if he will ever come close. Now if we were talking Verdejo type prospect/contender that would be something else.

IMO the last 30 years off the top of my head we have had Holmes, Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis and the 2 Klitschkos as elite heavyweights with a number of others just falling short such as Bowe. Come to think of it I'm not even sure Wladimir has been elite skill-wise but certainly performance-wise.

I agree with what you say regards Joshua being best young heavyweight prospect in a decade or two - but that is partly a reflection on the state of the HW division the last decade.
          A reflection of heavy in general. It's had a handful of deep, great eras. It's usually a kingpin class with mediocrity between the memorable reigns. I just mean there isn't much gap right now between even a Whyte, most of the top ten, and the few guys who make up the top of the class.

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
            That was a solid scrap. Joshua showed he is a step above Whyte. The power was just too much as Whyte just took too many big blows. He showed heart & a good arsenal of punches. He threw jabs, straight rights & hooks to both the body & head. He had a strong moment in the 2nd but that was his only chance. He fought valiantly but the power & skillset of Joshua was just too much. Joshua got some much needed experience in this fight. He got a little Coc*y in the 1st round & almost paid for it in the 2nd. After losing his 1st round of his career he put the pedal down & started boxing. I knew coming in Whyte had a solid left hook & that is what he used to stagger Joshua. I'd like to see Whyte fight Price or Chisora in a domestic dust up. Joshua can now move on to the fringe contenders. The difference between Joshua & Parker is AJ has a huge following so he will get bigger fights & a shorter road to the title if he keeps winning. Parker will have to move up the latter & wait his turn. I hope they eventually fight. Solid win for Joshua...
            I'd like to see Parker come in with Whyte 2 or 3 fights down the road before Whyte loses anymore edge (tonight's KO has probably put some mileage on the clock) - that way we could get a comparison. If I was Whyte's manager I'd avoid a Parker fight though and build his confidence back up. Plus probably not enough money in it for Whyte. That is Parker's issue - visibility. I doubt his team can pay enough money at the moment - someone else said it - relocating to the US would make sense now.
            Last edited by SteveM; 12-13-2015, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
              A reflection of heavy in general. It's had a handful of deep, great eras. It's usually a kingpin class with mediocrity between the memorable reigns. I just mean there isn't much gap right now between even a Whyte, most of the top ten, and the few guys who make up the top of the class.
              Cliff, your first 3 sentences I agree with. The bold-ed less so. If you substitute Joshua's name in there for that of Whyte I can go along with what you said. I think Joshua showed he was at least 2 physical/athletic levels above Whyte and one level of boxing ability.

I think Joshua gives all the top 10 at least a fight right now. Against Takam and Glazkov he starts favorite. Against Povetkin he is maybe 40/60 and I'd have to hold back my opinion on Wlad and Fury right now as there fight was just wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
                Not the prettiest, but this was a good developmental fight. Joshua showed he could weather a storm and keep throwing hard. I'll pick him over Wilder and probably Fury aswell.
                I agree, Joshua throws a far better assortment of punches than Fury and Wilder, puts together combinations better, and has a great uppercut which most heavyweights do not.

Comment

I was about jumping iif people got the point on these young prospects yet, then i came in this thread...yup...no. Clearly not. Even the esteemed Mr. Rold has the idea that hes ready for the TOP heavys in the world. I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheUntouchable View Post
                    Are you talking about Ismael Barroso knocking out Mitchell?

Dillian Whyte is so far from elite level, he doesn't even know how to spell it. Rod Salka is a boxing god compared to Mr. *******.
                    No I'm not saying Whyte is anywhere elite lol I worded that badly, I meant in future when Joshua eventually fights elite opponents, as much of the conversation has become 'World title shot in 2016' which is being deemed as a forgone conclusion by many...

Comment

I like Joshua but I can't work out why he is compared more to Lewis than Bruno. Bruno was over-muscled and blew out everybody before him - just like Joshua. Lennox was athletic and fluid, Joshua is more robotic in his movement even though he is fast. Faster than Bruno. Maybe that is it - Joshua is a faster Bruno - lol. Well Bruno won a world title and might have done much better if he was faster - so there is plenty of upside for Joshua.
                      Bruno was a verry good fighter and a prime Bruno would rule today.

Comment

Working...
                      X