Collapse
No announcement yet.

best abs workout?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are at home and really have no equipment whatsoever you could also try working through the different levels of push ups. Especially one arm pushups hit the core pretty hard, or at least they do for me. (http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/pus...ogression.html)

Crunches, planks etc. will do fine at first, but pretty soon they will become easy to do which halts your progression.

Obliques: just oblique crunches will do fine at first. If you have heavy dumbbells at home you could do side bends aswell.

Comment

TX for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by HedonisticFrog View Post
        Hanging windshield wipers and hanging straight leg v raises are good ab exercises. I do one set of each three times a week. Anything you can do for high reps isn't ideal for building ab strength.
        why do boxers do high rep exercises?

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
          I think its to build core endurance. If you're going 12 rounds of getting punched in the body, you need it. I assume thats why you do the drills with dropping medicine balls onto your abs etc as well. You can be strong but if you don't have endurance then you'll get worn down. With boxing endurance is equally as important as strength imo

Comment

you'r trying to get abs that look better, i take it?

the best thing you can do is eat right. your plate should be mostly filled with plants. the next best thing you can do is an assload of cardio with some sprints mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              you'r trying to get abs that look better, i take it?

the best thing you can do is eat right. your plate should be mostly filled with plants. the next best thing you can do is an assload of cardio with some sprints mixed in.
              I currently box at a gym and I'm trying to get in solid shape. I live with my parents and mostly everything I eat consists of vegetable oil or olive oil.

Comment

I don't know but there isn't much benefit from it from a performance standpoint. A stronger core will help you punch harder and take body shots better. I used to let people punch me in the abs at parties since it didn't hurt when I did bodybuilding and did decline situps with a 70lb dumbbell. Sometimes they hurt their wrists though.

You can build core muscular endurance from boxing drills while working on technique, which is a better use of your time than high reps of abs.

Comment

don't some of the high rep "lower ab" exercises as they are incorrectly labelled activate the transverse abdominus (inner core) which is important for balance and overall core strength?

Comment

don't some of the high rep "lower ab" exercises as they are incorrectly labelled activate the transverse abdominus (inner core) which is important for balance and overall core strength?
                    Every ab exercise is going to utilize all of the core muscles to an extent. It just depends on the proportion of muscles used. Hanging windshield wipers or any twisting motion like that is going to work your obliques(transverse abdominis is part of your obliques) more than exercises that are that go along the midline of your body like crunches or leg raises.

Comment

so frog, you are not a fan of manny's workout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JN8Nque1Sc

Comment

Working...
                      X