7.9-quake off Philippines triggers tsunami alert

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.9-quake off Philippines triggers tsunami alert

http://www.boston.com/news/world/asi...ikI/story.html

holy shiet. im here in the philippines but i haven't heard about the news yet.

Comment

2 more catagory 2 hurricanes developing in the atlantic, the eathquake here has triggered alerts along the pacific all the way up the west coast of north america. they said as far north as BC & alaska...i'm going to cuba in 3 weeks time so i'll be watching the storms there.

Comment

BBC says the tsunami alert has been called off. Or cancelled. Or deleted, or whatever the fuk u do with a tsunami alert when u dont want it anymore.

Comment

scary. let's hope the BBC is correct. these quakes don't always produce tsunami, and unless they're very close to shore, the size of the rise in sea level / waves depends a good deal on the topography along the shorelines. when lots of water has to fit through small spaces it piles up.

Comment

Scary stuff. I hope everyone is alright.

Comment

Saw this on my fb feed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                BBC says the tsunami alert has been called off. Or cancelled. Or deleted, or whatever the fuk u do with a tsunami alert when u dont want it anymore.
                Tsunamis form when massive displacements of earth cause violent waves with the water above it.

If there hasnt been a tsunami some time after an earthquake(a sign of a massive displacement of earth occuring- usually on the sea floor-which is cloest to the magma and the thinnest part of the earth's crust) Then there's not going to be one coming.

Basically the earth is a floating volcano in space. Below us is a trillion x a trillionx x trillion(and so on)ton ocean of molten lava and at its core a temperature so hot and pressure so dense we don't even have the technology to measure or comprehend it yet.

My theory is that it's a massive black whole of matter. It has to be so heavy that it generats all the gravity on the planet to keep everything together and be made of something that doesnt crumble with all that weight.
                Last edited by DARKSEID; 08-31-2012, 02:57 PM.

Comment

this **** better not happen when my ass is vacationing next month

Comment

Damn that's a big one.

I still remember pulling an all nighter watching all the live footage of the Japan quake unfolding, watching that tsunami just plow down houses and cars like nothing, scary stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X