Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did boxing fans start think like promotors?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
    That is true. However I'd assume that that would take a toll on a fan of the sport. I prefer to be a fan of fighter's say like Mares. Where I don't have to defend $h!t!!
    Thats only for now because he hasn't hit the big stage yet. Just wait until he does and then there will be a slew of posters that will not look at who he fought but point out he didn't fight nonito or rigo at 122, over exaggerate the low blows against agbeko and so on and so forth.

Comment

Thinking strictly as a fan is not thinking rational. I am a fan of the sport before any fighter and I would want nothing more than for the best fights to be made. But I am smart enough to know from the other side, boxing is a business first and if a matchup doesn't make sense financially, the fight won't happen. I also understand that companies like GB and TR and HBO and Showtime don't do business together. It is what it is. I hope one day things change but until then I will continue watching boxing and supporting my favorite boxers.
      Last edited by jayjames616; 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjames616 View Post
        Thinking strictly as a fan is not thinking rational. I am a fan of the sport before any fighter and I would want nothing more than for the best fights to be made. But I am smart enough to know from the other side, boxing is a business first and if a matchup doesn't make sense financially, the fight won't happen. I also understand that companies like GB and TR and HBO and Showtime don't do business together. It is what it is. I hope one day things change but until then I will continue watching boxing and supporting my favorite boxers.
        I agree with this post. I think the people who "think like promoters" are just being realistic about fighters and the sport as a whole. Instead of getting your hopes up for something that may not ever happen, and then become upset about it. I think some people tend to look at a certain situation, like a proposed fight, and try to "think like a promoter" to better understand how things work and why we don't always get what we want.

For example a guy at my work (casual fan type) told me that Canelo and Mayweather should fight next. I told him it doesn't make sense right now, and he said why not they just won both of their fights. I responded and said Mayweather has 5 fights left on his deal and Canelo is young and will get better/smarter by the time Floyd is ready for his last fight, which he will be older and perhaps a step slower. It would make sense for the fight to take place at a later time, although we (at least I) would like to see it now, it has the makings of being a "passing of the torch" fight for Canelo, Golden Boy and boxing in general.

So it's more about trying to think what is really going to happen, and be ready for that, because it's rare that we get what we want in boxing, when we want it.

Comment

Originally posted by ab4life View Post
          It seems like boxing fans these days are taking on the fight promoter mentality when it comes to their favorite fighters. Instead of thinking or saying they want to see the most challenging/ intriguing fights for their favorite fighter they are so caught in purse distribution or this fight is too risky and doesn't make financial sense. D*mn! Lol. If you a boxing fan I would think you would want to the best fights regardless. In one thread a guy was talking about having no problem with an Amir Khan vs Floyd fight.
          Since the beginning of time? Floyd is a particular case though. Most people only think it's fair if Floyd has some kind of disadvantage.

Pacquiao made Cotto and Oscar come to 147 when he still had some fight in him. Floyd had to go to 154 for Oscar and now Canelo's punk ass wants the same... He won't get it hopefully and comes down to 147 so we have a "fair" fight since Canelo has the youth and his fans think he has the talent. I don't think he's good at all but we'll see.

People are desperate to stop Floyd. Desperate tears are the best.

Comment

Originally posted by ab4life View Post
            It seems like boxing fans these days are taking on the fight promoter mentality when it comes to their favorite fighters. Instead of thinking or saying they want to see the most challenging/ intriguing fights for their favorite fighter they are so caught in purse distribution or this fight is too risky and doesn't make financial sense. D*mn! Lol. If you a boxing fan I would think you would want to the best fights regardless. In one thread a guy was talking about having no problem with an Amir Khan vs Floyd fight.
            Yeah it's crazy how guys think Khan is a worthy opponent for Floyd.

Comment

I don't mind thinking from a promoter's POV at times, but I would never pretend a fighter I like is fighting good fights by defending the finances behind cherry picks, which many do. I acknowledge it as ripping off the fanbase, which many don't.

Or the ones who say that a fight doesn't make money sense while the fighter they're defending is fighting for less money against worse opponents than the one we want to see him fight. That pisses me off.

Comment

I agree. When fans talk like this, boxing dies inside. As fans, why the F do we care about crap outside the ring? Just give me a good fight to watch. That is all, thanks. Boxing is so much more enjoyable when you just care about watching a good fight.

I'm guilty of this in the past too but I've been trying not to care.

Comment

I agree with the sentiment of a lot of the posters here. And to be honest I have only seen people resort to the Promoter mindset when someone first offers up the opinion that so and so ducked this other fighter because they are scared or a *****. As if anyone who is willing to get in a ring and risk that type of damage is some how a coward.

I think you are setting yourself up to be taken advantage of in many aspects of life when you are only willing to look at a situation from one point of view. Many people would be better off in life if they were more business minded with their decisions.

Comment

Yeah it's gotten to the point that fans act like advisors and promoters to try to convince people what's best for the fighter. It's pretty annoying, I can't imagine defending my favorite sports team like Boxing smh

Miami Dolphins should play the Rams and Jaguars because their not ready yet for the Patriots and the Dolphins will only play the Patriots if Tom Brady is injured because it makes the best sense.
                    Last edited by PRchamp; 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X