No announcement yet.

The 1-2-3 combination?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1-2-3 combination?

This combination confuses me just a little bit. I've heard of various ways to throw this combination.

The first thing I've heard was to move in with a quick Jab, Cross that is more speed than power, and then make the Left Head Hook the power punch.

Another method I've heard is moving in with a stiff Jab, followed by a shortened Cross, and followed by the Left Head Hook at the end. In this instance, the Cross and Left Hook are the power punches, although the Left Hook is more powerful.

The way I've typically thrown this combination is by moving in with a fast Jab, a Cross at full extension, Left Head Hook, and another Cross, making it a 1-2-3-2. However, I feel something is slightly off, because the transition between the first Cross to the Left Head Hook is a bit slower, because I throw the first Cross at full extension.

So what is the correct method? Or what is the method that best works with you? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

try this

Originally posted by Boxing_Fan66 View Post
    This combination confuses me just a little bit. I've heard of various ways to throw this combination.

The first thing I've heard was to move in with a quick Jab, Cross that is more speed than power, and then make the Left Head Hook the power punch.

Another method I've heard is moving in with a stiff Jab, followed by a shortened Cross, and followed by the Left Head Hook at the end. In this instance, the Cross and Left Hook are the power punches, although the Left Hook is more powerful.

The way I've typically thrown this combination is by moving in with a fast Jab, a Cross at full extension, Left Head Hook, and another Cross, making it a 1-2-3-2. However, I feel something is slightly off, because the transition between the first Cross to the Left Head Hook is a bit slower, because I throw the first Cross at full extension.

So what is the correct method? Or what is the method that best works with you? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
    make the hook at the end ur power shot.......use the jab of course to set every thing up.....the right hand should be thrown with moderate to slightly hard force n as that weight is transferred forward onto that front leg, (ur front leg should be slightly bent now)push down n turn that lead front foot slightly while turning the left hook over with hard force.......from a text book standpoint,dont throw another right afterward....u can, but its a bad habit......let me explain.....if u throw the 1232.....when u throw n finish wit the 2, u are finishing with a shot that leaves ur shoulders square when ur done...when u finish with the hook....ur lead shoulder is back at that side angle!....meaning ur body in turned again...less open n ur back on balance........if u finish with a hard 2 u can be open,shoulders square, and off balance...especially if u over shoot ur right hand, miss badly ,lean forward with it n etc.......finish wit the 3....u will be more defensivly responsible n better balanced......as far as if u throw the 2 at full extension or shortened...depends on the distance u are at which can always vary....learn to due both...regardless of what 2 u throw though...put most of ur power in that last 3....be consious of how u are transferring ur body weight...n if ur transition between the 2 n 3 is off...take some heat off the 2 n use it to mostly set up the 3.....hope this all makes sense???..........if ur issues are more about range......then learn how to punch from a fundamental standpoint first, then also learn that in reality, there are different rights n hooks.....there are ur classic turn over short L shaped hook, there are hooks that u can throw when almost body to body in the pocket where u have to slightly turn it in, there are hooks u can throw from a distance like when someone pulls out of ur range n thinks they are safe........there are diffrent right hands too....although some will say there is only one.....its like the difference between theory n whats real.......know both!!!!!

Comment

Rule of thumb: the jab is what sets everything up.

Your right cross "should" be a damn good power shot, and the hook at the end is supposed to finish the job.

Comment

i don't know what your problem is.

everyone throws the 123 different.

its about you in every aspect of boxing.

this isn't kung fu.

your trainer will give you the clothes, you have to make them fit.

meaning use the technicians taught. to fit your temperament and body.

Comment

Working...
        X