Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should you change your stance when boxing a Southpaw/Orthodox boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should you change your stance when boxing a Southpaw/Orthodox boxer?

I box southpaw. So my default stance is tailor made for orthodox fighters (most common). I keep my left high and against my left jaw to catch right hands. I keep my right out front about chest level to quickly jab, throw lead hooks and catch the orthodox jab. (See Zab Judah for example)

However...when I box other Southpaws, this doesn't work as well. For example, I tend to want to give more of an angle and keep my chin BEHIND my left glove to catch or parry jab with my left glove. Which normally leads to my right hand being across my body. (see James Toney for example)

I think you're hard pressed to find a better stance then the 1st one I described above when fighting an opposite handed fighter. But I struggle with if I should change my default stance when fighting like handed fighters.

Thoughts?

it depends how well you can box orthodox. if you can, try it. it all depends on the opponent. some will get confused and frustrated when their opponent can switch stances at any time.

if I were you id just keep sparring southpaws and working on it. its the best way to get better. nothing will prepare you more then sparring.

Comment

Let me clarify what I'm saying...I don't mean changing from southpaw to orthodox...although that is an interesting discussion. Hank Lundy fights right handed but he'll switch to Southpaw when he fights Southpaw. I really just mean modifying your GUARD.

Comment

oooooooooooh ok, gotcha.

I don't see the problem in switching it up. it can be looked at as adjusting in a way.

don't have a set plan going into the ring when it comes to ur stance, always use the first 30-60seconds of the first round to feel him out and see what will/wont work

Comment

Working...
        X