Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Floyd Mayweather jr. vs. prime 'Battling' Nelson @ 135. Who takes it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
    It varied. Dempsey's two bouts with Tunney were schedualed for 10 rounds yet a number of Louis' early title defenses were schedualed for 20.

Poet
    Apparently the last heavyweight title fight scheduled for 20 rounds was between Joe Louis and Abe Simon in March 1941. Louis had one other defense scheduled for 20 rounds against Bob Pastor in September 1939. Think by the 1920's 15 round fights certainly in the heavys were becoming the norm. Apart from those 2 Louis fights can't see another heavyweight title fight that was over the scheduled 15 after Johnson v Willard. Louis also had 1 defence at 10 rounds.

Comment

Bumped for sonnyboy.

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
        you think you're so fucking funny with your ridiculous insults that are always related to ****sexuality. You are a pompous nerd who is probably a closet ****, you can never seem to insult anyone without connecting it to ****sexuality.

I dont always favour modern fighters, i think SRR, Henry Armstrong, Ali, Liston would knock the daylights out of many if not all the fighters in their weight classes if they were fighting today, but there is such a disparity in skill level between Battling "i block punches with my face" Nelson and Floyd Mayweather.... Mayweather would absolutely rip him apart with blistering combos and avoid whatever Nelson threw back, it would look a lot similar to the gatti fight
        is this poster kosta tszyu's old name? lol at you insulting poet!

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          I made this thread in NSB but (perhaps as expected) didn't get any replies. I'll have a go in this section.

Mayweather vs. Nelson. Lightweight championship.

Old school rules:

4 ounce horse-hair gloves.
          It's a fight to the finish. (50 rounds.)
          Weigh-in at fight time in the ring.

The slick Mayweather facing off against the toughest fighter the world have ever seen. Nelson fought the great Joe Gans 3 times. Lost the first by DQ in round 42 and won the following 2 fights by knock-out.

Who takes it?

Mayweather:

Nelson:

Over FIFTY ROUNDS !!!!!!! and a prime "Durable Dane", with everything else in Nelson's favour......... Floyd won't make it past the 20th.......... if he wasn't dead by then, his corner would throw in the towel. it would be almost impossible for Floyd over those circumstances......... Over 12, and with modern gloves, Matweather would outbox him easily............. I read his fight with Abe Attell, which was over just 10 rounds, and the newspaper said "Battling Nelson is not equipped for a 10 round fight",...... Attell won nearly every round, it wasn't until the 8th that nelson started to land punches, the newspaper said that if the fight went 20 rounds that Nelson would have ended up taking Abe apart.

Comment

ever considered that oh, i dunno mayweather is 1 billion times better than gans?

gans had a good resume and was a smart fighter but good lord mayweather would obliterate both him and nelson on the same night
            LAUGH,.... LAUGH, LAUGH,......... A BILLION TIMES BETTER YOU SAY !!!!!!!.... that is just so un-educated and ridiculous...... WOW..... You lost your argument straight away with that BILLION Quote......... LOL.....LOL........ Gans would annihilate Floyd too/

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              floyds skills let him compete in any era. That said I don't think he can knock nelson out. The longer it goes the more it favors Nelson. If this was 12 rounds I would pick Floyd. But his hands won't hold up under these circumstances and Nelson won't stop with his relentless pressure. If Nelson could compete with Corbett II, Gans, McGovern, Wolgast and others, he'd be able to hang in there with Mayweather.

Floyd take a lot of the early rounds, but Nelson keeps coming and coming to win the newspaper decision, which was common back then.

Make that fight under todays standards and I'll fly with Mayweather by comfortable decision.
              Great post, green given.

I think what you're trying to say is that boxing back then was almost a different sport to the one it is now. Old school rules, Nelson beats Floyd as his endurance runs out. Modern 12R rules Floyd wins by decision. It's a bit like the boxing/MMA debate - whoever fights under their own rules wins.

Comment

You want to know why Floyd would KO Nelson????

Okay:

.Dramatic Speed Advantage
                .Power advantage
                .Skill advantage
                .Accuracy
                .Footwork

Floyd has trained with modern techniques and programs, things such as weights, better roadwork (including things like sprinting), better knowledge of nutrition, more evolved skills etc....

You obviously aren't a boxer if you dont realise these things. Put two fighters in the ring (or the street for that matter): One who has trained with modern techniques and is supremely skilled, and one who had absolutely zero skills(nelson) and who trained doing primitive things like lifting furniture, and who had no idea of proper nutrition- and thats another thing, floyd would be much naturally bigger and stronger than nelson, floyd had to eat well and train hard to weigh 135, plus he had a day to rehydrate. Nelson probably naturally weighed only a little bit more than that, if he trained properly today it is very possible he could have been a featherweight or even lower.

Look seriously, you have never boxed in your life or at least haven't been down to the gym for a while, you dont realise that dramatic skill and physical advantages are pretty much impossible to overcome, Nelson wouldnt last past the 4th-5th round....Toughness only gets you so far

Gans was a much better boxer than Nelson, and his ring smarts were good for his time, he would last a bit longer vs Floyd, but Floyd would just be so much quicker, stonger, more accurate....You have to realise this
                And you obviously know this from seeing hours and hours of Nelson, Gans and Attell in HD full def. colour ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????? ------------------------ You know nothing jerk, actually Jab knows a thing or two about being inside a ring............. I can see why they banned you..... JERK....... HA HA.... YOU GOT BANNED !!!!!................. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
                  Hey BattlingNelson I gotta ask you something.. Why is your great boxing idol BattlingNelson..? They were warriors back then but it must be really annoying being fan of a guy you've never seen fight but have to read old biased articles in order to figure out how and when he fought..
                  Like all history from 4000 B.C. to 1890's (where there is little surving footage of anything) you mean, what is your point ???????....... this is your past catching up with you.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather Jr is simply completely out of his element in a 50 Round fight.

He loses, he definitely loses.

12 Rounds? He wins.

50? No way.

By Round 20-25 he'll be completely bamboozled.

Comment

LMFAO. The circumstances on this match up is ridiculous.

Floyd would beat the living daylights out of him badly for 12 rounds.

I believe around round 15, Floyd hands would have broken. Both of them.

Then Floyd loses.

Unless Nelson gets put away within 12. Floyd can't win. Floyd spars and trains for 15 rounds anyways. Rotating fresh sparring partners. With a shortened resting period. So, I believe Floyd could go 15. His hands however will undoubtedly break.

So Nelson will win if he doesn't get put away within 12. Because anywhere from 8th onwards. Floyd's hands will be ready to fall apart. And I think it's possible for Floyd to put him away. So I wouldn't say it's impossible. I'd give him a 55% chance to do it. Specially with 4oz on.

****. Floyd could probably break his hands and just avoid the rest of the fight. But 50 is what makes me say, Floyd loses.

Comment

Working...
                      X