Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who has the best chance of beating ward at or around his weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's always been Dirrell and even now that would be an extremely dangerous fight for Ward. You know I'm a big fan of Ward and all, but I always felt Dawson was overrated, what separates Dawson from Dirrell is Dirrell's ring awareness, he's always alert and he can switch gears.

I'd expect the odds to be heavily in favor of Ward, I'll say this straight up, it'd be smart to put a good chunk on Dirrell to win.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
      I know he'd be favored over everyone but who has at least the best chance to beat him. Id go with dirrell
      I agree, Dirrell has the best chance and I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled it off. A lot of people are blinded by the hate but if you look at both guys fighting ability, it'd be a close matchup. Dirrell is a diamond in the rough.

Originally posted by ts33 View Post
      Call me crazy, but how about Pascal. Just because he's so heavy handed and awkward. Maybe one big shot could really hurt Ward?
      You're not crazy, Pascal would give Ward some problems because of his explosiveness and unconventional style.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
        Dirrell doesn't have the mental game. He'd be punked worse than Dawson.

The best fight for Ward from 68-75? My Guess? Gabe Campillo.
        No, Dawson goes into modes where he literally becomes passive and stops throwing, that does not happen to Dirrell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
          No, Dawson goes into modes where he literally becomes passive and stops throwing, that does not happen to Dirrell.
          Dirrel's passiveness cost him the Froch fight.

He could have dominated that fight, maybe even stopped him had just stepped up a gear like he did the last few rounds instead of trembling and falling to the ground.

In the Abraham fight he started to fade down the line and looked like a deer in the headlights in the last few rounds and was letting Abraham back into the fight.

That's why people consider him mentally weak, I would imagine.

I do think he's a good fighter though, but like I others I question his mental toughness.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

He could have dominated that fight, maybe even stopped him had just stepped up a gear like he did the last few rounds instead of trembling and falling to the ground.

In the Abraham fight he started to fade down the line and looked like a deer in the headlights in the last few rounds and was letting Abraham back into the fight.

I do think he's a good fighter though, but like I others I question his mental toughness.
            You also have to consider that he was thrown into the deep end with no big fight experience at all, lots of people either ignore or forget that. I just want to see him get in there and active, before I start rating him at this point, he's definitely a good fighter.

Comment

It was a different kind of passiveness, he was too conservative and did just enough to win without taking any risk. He was still defensively responsible and very mobile though, unlike Dawson.

Comment

regarding a pascal fight.... jean would do good for the first 4 rounds until ward figures him out....then he would get shut out imo

Comment

Yes to some extent it did, though I had him clearly winning that fight. Dirrell, based on what I saw against AA has fully matured since then. He applies his game far better now. At this point I still have to favor Ward, though no outcome would surprise me, but Dirrell beats everyone else at 168/175 in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    It was a different kind of passiveness, he was too conservative and did just enough to win without taking any risk. He was still defensively responsible and very mobile though, unlike Dawson.
                    Exactly, that's what I'm saying, Dirrell may fall apart mentally at times, but he's able to operate and is well alert in there, that's the complete opposite of Dawson.

Comment

Meh he won that fight imo. Deep down Froch knew it. It was on his face.

I wouldnt say hes mentally weak justs because Abe was closing the distance. Dirrell was cracking his ass with power shots all throughout the fight. I was there live. They sounded like shotguns going off.

People just say that because of what happened after Abe hit him late and its ridiculous imo.

This dude went toe to toe with the hardest puncher at the time. Mentally weak I dont see it.

Mentally weak: Judah, Dawson, Mosley,etc. I never thought that with Dirrell. He makes mistakes in the ring but I wouldnt call him mentally weak.

Comment

Working...
                      X