No announcement yet.

fres oquendo wants seth mitchell or chris arreola

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fres oquendo wants seth mitchell or chris arreola

By James Slater: “Fast” Fres Oquendo sounds an angry guy at present. The normally mild-mannered Puerto Rican, speaking on the web site of his promotional team Hitz Boxing, said he is sick of “doing the right things and getting the short end of the stick.”

The slick 38-year-old was referring to the countless bad decisions he has been the victim of, and Oquendo was also pointing a finger at those fighters who have chosen to avoid him over the years. Some fans may not like Oquendo’s ring style, yet practically everyone has to concede how the veteran is a talented operator: a fighter who has been shamelessly robbed on at least three occasions - his points “loss” to recent Wladimir Klitschko challenger Jean Marc Mormeck being the most blatant.

The fact that the Frenchman got a world title shot seems to be what has Oquendo, 33-7(22) all steamed up right now. But the contender says he will now call out the guys he wants to face, in the hope that his beating them will see to it that he gets a deserved shot of his own.

“From now on, I’m going to be calling guys out and making things happen on my own,” he said. “I’ll take Seth Mitchell, Chris Arreola. Any of them. Bring them on.”

But will either the established (possibly title shot-bound) Arreola or fast-rising hope Mitchell look Oquendo’s way? I think we can rule Arreola out, seeing as how world ruler Wladimir Klitschko has said he’d like to fight him, possibly in America, possible after he’s taken care of IBF mandatory Tony Thompson. No way would Arreola risk either a less than impressive showing against Oquendo, or worse still a possible points loss. “The Nightmare” isn’t stupid, and anyway, he’s worked hard in keeping himself active as he earns his second title crack.

Mitchell, unbeaten as he is, probably has the self belief that tells him he would beat Oquendo (or anyone else for that matter). His management, however, may steer him in another direction. Mitchell is a promising fighter of the highest order and he has great momentum going for him right now. The crafty Oquendo, with his bag of tricks and vast experience, would be too big a risk right now.

Unfortunately, “Fast” Fres finds himself in the “who needs him club?” Too risky a proposition, or too big a chance to take for too low a reward, Oquendo will likely have to continue doing things the hard way. The sport is far from fair at times; Fres Oquendo knows this better than just about any other active heavyweight.

The man who scored an 2nd-round DQ win over Travis Fulton the same night Mormeck was being destroyed by Klitschko may have to go through a number of fighters on a similar level; all the time hoping a big name takes a risk and gives him the break he deserves.

Watching Jean-Marc Mormeck get blown out by Wladimir Klitschko last weekend, the frustration was overwhelming for long-time heavyweight contender "Fast" Fres Oquendo (33-7, 22 KOs).

The Chicago-based fighter had soundly beaten Mormeck (everywhere but the scorecards) in Mormeck's adopted home of France in 2010. And that "victory" by Mormeck, coupled with another questionable win over Timur Ibragimov, seemed to be the two fights that propelled Mormeck into the embarrassing Klitschko fight.

"I get robbed and he gets a title fight," said the angry Oquendo of Mormeck. "I beat him easily, but because we fought in his backyard I would have had to knock him out to win by split decision. I could have told you that would happen to him against Klitschko. He's not a real heavyweight. I played with him. And if you saw his fight with Ibragimov, he lost that one too (also held in France)."

It was hardly the first time controversy has hampered Oquendo's career. A legitimate case could be made that he hasn't lost a fight since 2006. In addition to the Mormeck fiasco, in recent years, Oquendo has dropped other stinky decisions to James Toney (2008) and Oliver McCall (2010), while winning his other seven contests. Add in that in 2003, Oquendo lost a hideously unfair decision to then-champion Chris Byrd in a challenge for Byrd's IBF title.

"I keep trying to do the right things, taking any fight they've got for me that is halfway fair and reasonable and I keep getting the short end of the stick," he continued. "So from now on, I'm going to be calling guys out and making things happen on my own, rather than waiting for boxing to do the right thing. I want any of these new guys. I'll take Seth Mitchell. Chris Arreola. Any of them. Bring them on. I'm the best American heavyweight in boxing and I am going to prove it."

"At 38, Fres is still a very good fighter with plenty left," says his promoter, Bobby Hitz of Hitz Boxing. "He's only really lost two fights in the last decade and he's fought a who's who of heavyweights in the world. He's an established guy and he deserves one last shot at the title. Who else are they going to give the next shot to? Tony Thompson or Eddie Chambers again?"

Hitz also says Vitali Klitschko and Oquendo sparred together while Klitschko was preparing for Tomas Adamek and Oquendo very much got the better of the oldest brother.

"Fres has always been a nice guy who believed his time would come, but now he's seeing he's got to make things happen, so what he's going to do is KO one guy after another until they can no longer ignore him. Tell all the American heavyweights they've got a fight waiting for them. Pick up the phone and we're ready. We're calling out every last one of you."

Comment

Working...
    X