Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Vitaly get credit for losing to a shot Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand people saying that he shouldn't get credit as he lost....but secretly, i think everyone loves a tryer.

Vitali just happened to get caught on the button by, easily, the greatest heavyweight around at the time...what takes the shine away from Vitali's courageous defeat was that Lennox was past his sell by date.

Comment

Not for nothing, JAB, but you're better than this. You know that this topic has been beaten to death, and no matter how much you tell people to keep it civil, it will be anything BUT that.

And Lewis wasn't "shot", he was just past his prime. If he was shot he would not have survived.

Comment

The reason is simple, he was dominating Lewis and winning the fight until the cut happened, after that he still kept fighting like there was no tomorrow and showed true warrior's spirit. A cut like that is a case of sheer luck (for Lewis) and says nothing about the talent or skills of either fighter, it's something that happens when a punch lands on a specific spot with a specific angle and a specific power and a specific speed.

Lewis won the fight and I think he would have won on points if the fight kept going (since Vitali wouldn't be in the offense with that cut), but the whole Staples Center booing him and cheering for Vitali, plus Lennox Lewis avoiding a rematch despite having said he wanted one, shows Vitalis clear superiority in that fight.

Comment

Because when a fighter has only fought one truly great fighter, and looked good despite losing, his hardcore fans will cling to that fight as proof of greatness. Lewis retiring afterwards also makes it look better.

If that fight had been allowed to continue, Vitali would have gone blind in that eye.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            If that fight had been allowed to continue, Vitali would have gone blind in that eye.
            You can never know that. Look at him now, he looks fine, there isn't a tiniest scar left.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
              Not for nothing, JAB, but you're better than this. You know that this topic has been beaten to death, and no matter how much you tell people to keep it civil, it will be anything BUT that.

And Lewis wasn't "shot", he was just past his prime. If he was shot he would not have survived.
              You're right "shot" was not the right word, "past prime" is a much more accurate description. But I am looking for reasonable opinions from posters who are objective whether I agree or disagree and I've put most of the nuthuggers who would troll this thread on ignore to try and keep it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Superflo777 View Post
                You can never know that. Look at him now, he looks fine, there isn't a tiniest scar left.
                That was terrible damage being done to his eye. Lewis would have smashed it, he was focused on it the moment it opened. Being blind is probably exaggerating, maybe not, but if that fight continues Vitali would have suffered irreparable damage.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  That was terrible damage being done to his eye. Lewis would have smashed it, he was focused on it the moment it opened. Being blind is probably exaggerating, maybe not, but if that fight continues Vitali would have suffered irreparable damage.
                  Like I said, you can't know that.

Comment

The reason is simple, he was dominating Lewis and winning the fight until the cut happened, after that he still kept fighting like there was no tomorrow and showed true warrior's spirit. A cut like that is a case of sheer luck (for Lewis) and says nothing about the talent or skills of either fighter, it's something that happens when a punch lands on a specific spot with a specific angle and a specific power and a specific speed.

Lewis won the fight and I think he would have won on points if the fight kept going (since Vitali wouldn't be in the offense with that cut), but the whole Staples Center booing him and cheering for Vitali, plus Lennox Lewis avoiding a rematch despite having said he wanted one, shows Vitalis clear superiority in that fight.
                    Vitay was winning, he wasn't dominating. And there is no such thing as sheer luck in the ring. If you're tying to punch the other guy and he gets cut than you accomplished what you set out to. Cuts are part of the sport. My biggest problem with V getting so much credit is that Lewis was clearly not in the best shape, was exhausted himself and was teeing off on Klit the last two rounds. All credit for his heart and toughness, but this was clearly not a very good version of Lewis and leads me to question how Vitaly would have done with a younger, focused and motivated Lewis such as the one who showed up for the Rahman rematch.

Comment

Like I said, you can't know that.
                      I may be mistaken as I haven't seen it yet, but didn't a doctor say this in the Klitschko documentary?

Comment

Working...
                      X