Collapse
No announcement yet.

"You" Wanted Ward to Give Up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pascal didn't fold. Maybe in the rematch, but not in their first fight.

Comment

people are giving so much credit for Ward to keep fighting that they automatically equatet hat to him winning the fight

at this rate Broner beat Maidana too

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
        That's all fine and dandy and I agree with most of it but there's no way Ward won every single round from 6-12 like the judges had it on all 3 cards minus the 12th on one that already had Ward winning no matter what... That's just BS...
        I hear you, a draw or Kovalev by a point probably would of been the best call but I think Ward's "comeback" was the story of the night...the fact he turned the tables on Kovalev was impressive we've never seen Kovalev get a guy hurt early and not be able to finish him. In the same way SRL captured the crowd and the judges against Hagler I think Ward to a lesser degree did the same.

In reality who won or loss is not as big an issue to me as we finally got a good PPV fight!

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          people are giving so much credit for Ward to keep fighting that they automatically equatet hat to him winning the fight

at this rate Broner beat Maidana too
          Hey....Broner did show something in that fight, he made it competitive, clearly didn't win but didn't get wiped out like many suggest

Comment

There really is a problem in combat sports at the minute. There's been an influx of "fans" flocking to fighters like Sergey Kovalev, Anthony Joshua, Conor McGregor, etc. It's fun to see somebody getting brutally knocked out. It's become a fashion thing. It's also fashionable to like the big names now. People don't know **** about boxing but they follow Floyd Mayweather, Jr. on all social media and will watch his fights.

The point is they don't know ****. They will have watched that fight last night, only seeing Kovalev plodding along trying to score a knockout. Whatever Andre Ward was doing is totally disregarded. He was obviously just being negative and trying not to get knocked out while the "better fighter" was coming forward and trying to punch him. The only reason Ward survived to the end is because he wouldn't stay still and let Kovalev punch him.

It's sad but this really is how people are analysing this fight.

Comment

He showed great heart and as a Ward fan I was proud to see him fight his way back. However, it's been a bit tainted by him getting a very favorable decision he just did not deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
                Great analysis. The mettle of a champion is shown through adversity. Ward got back up, adjusted, and found a way to win.
                He did and I think people will see this when they rewatch it. I can t disagree completely with those who think Kovalev won but Ward did what he had to do to give himself a chance to win. He made it an either way contest...

Comment

Originally posted by Scholar View Post
                  There really is a problem in combat sports at the minute. There's been an influx of "fans" flocking to fighters like Sergey Kovalev, Anthony Joshua, Conor McGregor, etc. It's fun to see somebody getting brutally knocked out. It's become a fashion thing. It's also fashionable to like the big names now. People don't know **** about boxing but they follow Floyd Mayweather, Jr. on all social media and will watch his fights.

The point is they don't know ****. They will have watched that fight last night, only seeing Kovalev plodding along trying to score a knockout. Whatever Andre Ward was doing is totally disregarded. He was obviously just being negative and trying not to get knocked out while the "better fighter" was coming forward and trying to punch him. The only reason Ward survived to the end is because he wouldn't stay still and let Kovalev punch him.

It's sad but this really is how people are analysing this fight.
                  Those who like knockouts likely saw Kovalev win, the who like boxing saw Ward pulling ahead. Right now the boxing world loves Lomachenko but I see them bailing on him if he starts to not get knockouts and becomes a pure tactician like a Floyd or Ward. However there are still many of us like myself who appreciate boxing.

Comment

Yes, look Ward heart and chin can't be denied no matter if you thought he won or lose but the flip side, Kovalev is far more skilled and for more athletic than he was given credit for! I don't think that fight takes away from either fighter regardless of who you thought won. Both elevated themselves from the rest of boxing last night I think which is why I have then #1 and #2 P4P after last night because I feel both are that good. Kovalev is a Dream Combination of Skills and Speedy and Ward despite not having great Power he does everything so well so in compensate for the lack of "Great Power" which is what got him in back into the fight after being dropped with a nice shot.

I look forward to the rematch! Nothing wrong with a boxing Rivalry, it use to be very common in the Sport, as you mention yes it is VERY similar to Leonard vs Hearns in which many thought Hearns WON and rightfully so. So with Kovalev here, I won't argue with anybody who thought Kovalev or Ward won because that is how close I thought it was. I still think a Draw with the Champ keeping his Belt probably would've been the best call for a fight like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                      That's all fine and dandy and I agree with most of it but there's no way Ward won every single round from 6-12 like the judges had it on all 3 cards minus the 12th on one that already had Ward winning no matter what... That's just BS...
                      Why do some people think Kovalev swept the first half of the fight? I would go back at you with that? Lots of people momentum score, which is not correct. Just because Ward was on the floor and in a bit of trouble in the 2nd round, doesn't mean rounds 3, 4, and 5 weren't extremely close. Ward outlanded Kovalev in 2 out of 3 of those rounds.

Comment

Working...
                      X