No announcement yet.

The hardest hitters are slow not explosive agree or disagree and why

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The hardest hitters are slow not explosive agree or disagree and why

Ernie Shavers George Foreman number 1 and 2 in the eyes of many in terms of being the hardest punchers ever in history.

P4P The hardest hitter ever Julian Jackson according to an even higher percentage of people ie the majority.

Are these 3 particularly explosive ie fast no, but that didnt stop them being the hardest hitters ever.

The explosive punchers guys like Tyson, Roy Jones Jr, etc look more impressive and dramatic as do their knockouts, but they dont hit as hard.

So it seems the best punchers in terms of sheer power are not super explosive. Agree or disagree and why

There is a reason why the basic proportions for a heavy weight are what they are. Will these proportions change? probably eventually. The combination of explosiveness and power are affected by a calculus of traits: among them explosiveness which requires coiling energy more than mass. That is probbaly why the pure punchers were smaller in the range for average heavyweight size than the heavy handed hitters.

Yes. the heavy handed bigger guys tend not to be as explosive.

Comment

Interesting question... The perfect example would be the punch that knocked out Moore. You could se it coming from a mile away but on impact,, look out. I cannot explain it but have a friend that plays goalie in hockey. He always use to talk about the guys with a heavy shot vs. quick. He made no discrepancy with their speed but rather how it felt to get hit by the puck. Back to your question the one heavy that seemed to combine both was joe Louis. Watching old films I am awed by the speed and power he brings to his punches. His ok victims seem to just explode.

Comment

Thomas Hearns was very explosive

Comment

Tommy Morrison,Mike Tyson,Wlad klitchko,Lewis,Razor Ruddock to name a few are some of the biggest heavy handed fighters to lace them up who had very good speed and explosive power.Lighter classes I don't think weight dictates power,hitting hard has no real correlation to guys like ggg that's natural power.Some guys are not as fast obviously who are heavier,some genetics and training methods will also come into play.Lean muscle will have more explosive capabilities ,when you add weight and stay lean in some cases it will increase speed.

A current example is Anthony Joshua who is 6'5 and around 240,watch his fight last night and look at the short blazing left 2 left hooks he hits Cornish with on the inside that drops him .Then you have guys like Bruno who are slow as molasses at times...todays fighters are just faster big men because of the different training,they have the blue print to fight like Light weights...fury at 6'9 has the best footwork out there at Hw for example.
          Last edited by juggernaut666; 09-13-2015, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Check the guy called Mike Tyson. /thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ragin View Post
              Interesting question... The perfect example would be the punch that knocked out Moore. You could se it coming from a mile away but on impact,, look out. I cannot explain it but have a friend that plays goalie in hockey. He always use to talk about the guys with a heavy shot vs. quick. He made no discrepancy with their speed but rather how it felt to get hit by the puck. Back to your question the one heavy that seemed to combine both was joe Louis. Watching old films I am awed by the speed and power he brings to his punches. His ok victims seem to just explode.
              Do Hockey players use hip rotation to shoot the puck/

I wonder if Foreman threw a baseball at you, I wonder if it would hurt more than if Tyson threw it at you.
              Last edited by AlexKid; 09-13-2015, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Alexkid--Tysons throw would definitely hurt more. When Foreman was about to throw I would lean back against my wobbly fence to deflect the impact. Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by ragin View Post
                  Alexkid--Tysons throw would definitely hurt more. When Foreman was about to throw I would lean back against my wobbly fence to deflect the impact. Hope that helps
                  yea maybe if you were wearing a helmet made from Alis skull it would work, but if you had a helmet made from Norton skull say good bye to a lack of agony

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                    yea maybe if you were wearing a helmet made from Alis skull it would work, but if you had a helmet made from Norton skull say good bye to a lack of agony
                    Poor Kenny. Never witnessed a fighter that could be so tough against boxers but absolutely crumble against the heavy hitters. He kept the hands high but the bombers always got thru... need to find out if he fought Shavers and how /if that fight went.

Comment

Working...
                    X