No announcement yet.

Tyson KO4 Holmes or Marciano KO8 Louis- Better win

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson KO4 Holmes or Marciano KO8 Louis- Better win

So both are pretty similar type of wins. Past prime ATG's who had just finished a very long title defending streak not too long before, facing the new young guns who would later become ATG's themselves. Louis had a little winning streak going and made it to a title shot(I'll let others elaborate on the level of opposition he beat to get there). Holmes was out of it even for his age for that fight but still went on to do good things years after it. Anyway, time killer. What's you choice?
    Tyson-Holmes
    44.44%
    Marciano-Louis
    55.56%

I think Louis was the qualified no. 1 contender or at least no. 2. Holmes was retired and didn't have long to get into fighting shape.

Still its an intriguing question as Holmes did do a bit subsequently while Louis retired for good.

I'll go for Marciano's win, but a case can be made for either.

Comment

I would say rocky as he was a contender and this propelled him to a title shot where as mike was a champ on a roll young and invincible looking.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        I would say rocky as he was a contender and this propelled him to a title shot where as mike was a champ on a roll young and invincible looking.
        Yeah this is pretty much what I was going to post as well.

Comment

Both fighters were well past their respective primes but I would have to say that Larry certainly had more left in the tank when he fought Tyson as opposed to Louis when he met Marciano...Larry actually fought three years later after getting KO ed and beat a then undefeated Ray Mercer...

Joe Louis was only 37 when he fought Rocky but looked 57 and fought like he was 77...

Comment

Holmes hadn't fought in almost 2 years and was coming off the 2 (albeit questionable) losses to Spinks. Tyson was the undisputed HW champ at the time.

Louis was well past his best, but he had won 8 straight fights in the year since the Charles loss. Marciano was still a relatively green prospect.

What makes it debatable is that Holmes would go on to have some decent fights. Louis hung them up after the Rocky fight (thankfully.)

Comment

Tyson's win over Holmes was IMO the better win. Ex Champion Holmes although he had been inactive for 18 months, was not "Damaged Goods" like Joe Louis was in his bout against Marciano. Holmes lost by KO to Tyson, then took 3yrs out of the game before coming back and continued fighting at a very competitive level. Holmes won the WBO title from undefeated Ray Mercer and twice fought for the recognized Championship of the World against Evander Holyfield & Oliver McCall.

Joe Louis was very fortunate to get the verdict over Jersey Joe Walcott in 1947 after twice climbing off the canvas. it was clear he was not the fighter he once was and was sliding fast. Louis lost to Ezzard Charles in 1950 was embarrassing for him as he barely won a round in losing a lopsided decision. Joe's KO loss to Marciano the following year was his final career fight, unlike Holmes who went 24-3 after his KO loss to Tyson. So Holmes was far from finished at the time of his KO loss.

Comment

Working...
              X